Lots Of Valves

ducky698

I see a brake foot valve, a relay valve for the long wheelbase tractor to eliminate delay in brake application, and anti-compounding valve so you don't warp your drums by applying brake while spring brakes are set, tractor protection valve so you can remove the gladhands from the trailer and not lose air, a few a few actuator valves so you make desired functions happen, plus a few I can't clearly ascertain.........

Looks like you went with all new stuff. You'll be glad you did with a complete rebuild such as yours.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I see a brake foot valve, a relay valve for the long wheelbase tractor to eliminate delay in brake application, and anti-compounding valve so you don't warp your drums by applying brake while spring brakes are set, tractor protection valve so you can remove the gladhands from the trailer and not lose air, a few a few actuator valves so you make desired functions happen, plus a few I can't clearly ascertain.........

Looks like you went with all new stuff. You'll be glad you did with a complete rebuild such as yours.

Rob

Hi, there is a lot there. where they all go is beyond me at this stage, but will be a full bottle with it when its all on. I had to go all new, safety first, the thing has been sitting for 15years at least, so putting new stuff on is better, it has all new boosters aswell so if the thing doesnt stop I can ask why! safety first! all steering bits are new to, the motor,gearbox and diffs are not new, but they wont hurt any one if they fail.

plumbing is going to be a challenge :)

Grant

Rob

Hi, whats this valve and where does this go?

Grant

post-2194-018968600 1276178860_thumb.jpg

I on the other hand have been driving my B61 1955 Mack for 20 some years and never touched a valve. I've installed new rear drums (had them custom cast by Dura brake) and gone through all the s cam stuff and pots. I seem to now be having a valve problem. When I apply the foot brake I'm ony getting 60 PSI at the rear pot. I would think it should be more around 100 PSI or full pressure. I would love feedback and the location of good information about these odd Mack air brakes. Thanks

David B61

Hi, whats this valve and where does this go?

Grant

It appears to be a spring brake control valve. The following description is from the Mack Air and Brake System Manual 16-104:

The spring brake control valve directs a specific amount of " hold-off " pressure (about 95 psi) to the spring brake chambers to cage the compression springs and release the spring brakes. In the event of a primary system pressure loss, the valve allows a graduated application of the spring brakes through a treadle valve application, to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. Spring brake control valves are used in all truck applications, and may be used in some tractor applications.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It appears to be a spring brake control valve. The following description is from the Mack Air and Brake System Manual 16-104:

The spring brake control valve directs a specific amount of " hold-off " pressure (about 95 psi) to the spring brake chambers to cage the compression springs and release the spring brakes. In the event of a primary system pressure loss, the valve allows a graduated application of the spring brakes through a treadle valve application, to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. Spring brake control valves are used in all truck applications, and may be used in some tractor applications.

Hello, I see. thankyou, and where does it go exactly? where do I get a diagram from? at the moment I have all these parts and no diagram of where they go. there is a heap of them.

Grant

Hello, I see. thankyou, and where does it go exactly? where do I get a diagram from? at the moment I have all these parts and no diagram of where they go. there is a heap of them.

Grant

For someone with the ambition to do what you are doing the Bendix website is a great resource. See the Bendix document library here: https://www.bendix.com/en-us/service/library/Pages/Home.aspx

On this page are the Bendix Quick Reference Guide and the Bendix Air Brake Handbook. These have a lot of general information that is helpful when identifying valves & other components. You can also search the document library for SD-03-4508. SD-03-4508 is the service data sheet for the SR-1 Spring Brake Valve. The data sheet gives general information and piping instructions.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

For someone with the ambition to do what you are doing the Bendix website is a great resource. See the Bendix document library here: https://www.bendix.com/en-us/service/library/Pages/Home.aspx

On this page are the Bendix Quick Reference Guide and the Bendix Air Brake Handbook. These have a lot of general information that is helpful when identifying valves & other components. You can also search the document library for SD-03-4508. SD-03-4508 is the service data sheet for the SR-1 Spring Brake Valve. The data sheet gives general information and piping instructions.

Hi, thankyou, will try that document, got this from Mack, hopefully it helps people in same boat.

document2010-01-06-1532371.pdf