Transmission Stick Options

bstclee

I don't come around here often but I was hoping someone could give me a little advise.

My truck 85 DM886SX with a E6-285R 2 valve and a TRXL107. The throwout bearing on the clutch wasn't greased for a while (I bought the truck and I had someone set the clutch once but failed to mention that the grease fitting on the inspection plate didn't connect to the bearing GRRRR). It has been 12 years since the transmission has been out (mack reman) so it will get a clutch and bearing when out. It will be out of commission for 2 weeks. I only use the truck for approx 1500-1600 miles per year. My question is can you modify or bolt right up an air shift single stick to this transmission. No one that works for us feels comfortable with this transmission arrangement (2 sticks vs 1 stick). (chickens) Its not hard to drive but I do alot of shifting from forward to reverse in a quick motion and its not as fast as a single stick. And it's hard to turn the steering with no hands. I was thinking since its out and I am waiting for it to be fixed I could update the truck.

post-1529-060265800 1275537428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lee

I don't come around here often but I was hoping someone could give me a little advise.

My truck 85 DM886SX with a E6-285R 2 valve and a TRXL107. The throwout bearing on the clutch wasn't greased for a while (I bought the truck and I had someone set the clutch once but failed to mention that the grease fitting on the inspection plate didn't connect to the bearing GRRRR). It has been 12 years since the transmission has been out (mack reman) so it will get a clutch and bearing when out. It will be out of commission for 2 weeks. I only use the truck for approx 1500-1600 miles per year. My question is can you modify or bolt right up an air shift single stick to this transmission. No one that works for us feels comfortable with this transmission arrangement (2 sticks vs 1 stick). (chickens) Its not hard to drive but I do alot of shifting from forward to reverse in a quick motion and its not as fast as a single stick. And it's hard to turn the steering with no hands. I was thinking since its out and I am waiting for it to be fixed I could update the truck.

post-1529-060265800 1275537428_thumb.jpg

I can't say for 100% sure but I've had both transmissions you speak of. From what I remember you can convert the two stick to an air shifted single stick by replacing the shift forks in the transmission, and the complete top cover of the hi/lo/reverse range box. Can't remember if the rails require replacement too. I think the back 1/2 of the transmission would need to come off/apart to facilitate the conversion. You would also need the air regulators, shifter and selectair valve, lineset, etc. to further the conversion.

These parts by no means are inexpensive. Seems like shifting forks are about $400.00 each.

The TRXL-107A trans may be easy to come across from a donor truck also as they were common.

I did work for a fertilizer outfit that had a bunch of Macks running nurse trucks and replaced several transmissions with Fullers due to the same as you want to do. As virtually bulletproof as that Mack transmission is, an inexperienced, or careless driver can destroy it. I myself have one with a tooth knocked off a gear, (not by me).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.