Engine Won't Start

Starts with ether and runs well. Shut it off, wait 10 min., won't start. New lines from tank to primary filter - to pump. Had it sucking from a pail thinking it may be the pickup in the tank. Primer pump hardens but won't stay hard. Primary filter won't fill beyond 2/3 full. Thinking it may be the pump or electronic. I would be so grateful for any help. Nearest Mack dealer is 5 hrs. away.

Update June 2:: This morning I filled the primary filter full. Engine started right smart without ether. Shut down, removed primary filter and it is 2/3 full. How did air get into the filter. Is there a check valve in the filter housing? Or in the pickup tube in the tank? I checked for crack in filter housing. I have 2 spin-on filters, no glass bowl. The jumper between the heads is ok. I thank all you guys for replying. I'm going to apply thread seal to the connections,and see.

Edited by Steveko

Starts with ether and runs well. Shut it off, wait 10 min., won't start. New lines from tank to primary filter - to pump. Had it sucking from a pail thinking it may be the pickup in the tank. Primer pump hardens but won't stay hard. Primary filter won't fill beyond 2/3 full. Thinking it may be the pump or electronic. I would be so grateful for any help. Nearest Mack dealer is 5 hrs. away.

Check the fuel system check valve on the right rear side of the engine above the air compressor

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Check the fuel system check valve on the right rear side of the engine above the air compressor

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention "new check valve installed".

Edited by Steveko

I know we put alot of fuel supply pumps on. You can remove yours and see if the gear is slipping on the shaft. Also check your oil level for being over full. Sometimes these bad supply pump can leak fuel into oil. Does yours have spin on fuel filters or the Davco filter in the clear housing? If so it has its own check valve.

I have the spin-on filters. Will check the supply pump today. Update: Supply pump is ok.

If the check valve is OK it has to be the pump the check valves or somthing like that!Does the primary filter have a drain on the bottom do you have any fillters in line that have a glass bowl?

dont trust them by pass them.If there is a plastic return line to the head the jumper between the heads can cause greif!