Clueless - Restoration Garage Build Out

Hi!

As I prepare to restore an old Mack (prefer an H model), I wanted to start seeing what equipment / tools I will need to do some of the work myself (tear down, some basic body work (not final paint - but paint prep), mechanicals, wiring, interior, etc.).

Frankly, the cost of the garage build out and the cost to outsource pieces of the work is just a cost equation I am not experienced enough to know.

So, one side of this would be the tools & equipment necessary to really perform the work with decent productivity.

I was looking for opinions on the "critical" garage build items for a restoration project inclusive of tools, equipment, stands, jacks, etc. I realize this could be a longer list so I apologize upfront for being clueless. Frankly, I have never purchased an air powered tool in my life, so I am starting at the "Neanderthal" stage of mechanics knowledge (I might as well admit it upfront incase someone mistakes me for having a clue).

Thanks!

-Rob

p.s. Thanks for all the other help. I have already signed up for ATHS, ATCA, and ordered just about every back issue of magazine I could find related to restoring antique trucks. I also ordered a whole series of books from Amazon about Macks, etc. I plan to get more specific mechanics guides once I get my final model sourced for the starter truck. My few assets are an absolute obsession/focus with new projects, a few bucks I can spare, a wife willing to entertain this project, and hopefully a continued desire to learn something. Beyond that, I am ground zero.

Hi!

As I prepare to restore an old Mack (prefer an H model), I wanted to start seeing what equipment / tools I will need to do some of the work myself (tear down, some basic body work (not final paint - but paint prep), mechanicals, wiring, interior, etc.).

Frankly, the cost of the garage build out and the cost to outsource pieces of the work is just a cost equation I am not experienced enough to know.

So, one side of this would be the tools & equipment necessary to really perform the work with decent productivity.

I was looking for opinions on the "critical" garage build items for a restoration project inclusive of tools, equipment, stands, jacks, etc. I realize this could be a longer list so I apologize upfront for being clueless. Frankly, I have never purchased an air powered tool in my life, so I am starting at the "Neanderthal" stage of mechanics knowledge (I might as well admit it upfront incase someone mistakes me for having a clue).

Thanks!

-Rob

p.s. Thanks for all the other help. I have already signed up for ATHS, ATCA, and ordered just about every back issue of magazine I could find related to restoring antique trucks. I also ordered a whole series of books from Amazon about Macks, etc. I plan to get more specific mechanics guides once I get my final model sourced for the starter truck. My few assets are an absolute obsession/focus with new projects, a few bucks I can spare, a wife willing to entertain this project, and hopefully a continued desire to learn something. Beyond that, I am ground zero.

If you are starting out with nothing, Very deep pockets are a necessity to start out. You don't simply use automotive tools for a lot of this stuff or you're going to get hurt.

Stop by a few truck garages and ask questions. What do they use, what do they not use. An usused tool does no good for much except empty the wallet etc...

Can you get a project inside to work on it? Are the neighbors tolerant of your ambitions? The driveway is not much fun to work in when it's raining, or cold outside, and progress at times will be agonizingly slow.

Not to be discouraging but I have three trucks due to former owners losing ambitions in their projects, and therefore lost quite a bit of money. I always caution prospective restorers of this phenomenom because it is very real. If you plan to obtain a huge profit from a restoration, purge your ambitions at the front because few do. You will discover very quickly that parts are both difficult to obtain, and expensive. With the accumulated age and use, these can be very expensive to rebuild also.

I admire your ambition, talent, and desire. Just don't want to see you go broke or lose a lot of money getting to the final stages. You would be better off paying $15.000 for a project to your liking needing only cosmetic work, as opposed to a $5000.00 initial purchase price project needing five times that to finish. Look at the "H" models mentioned earlier. These are indeed "parts trucks". Not saying one of them couldn't be revived but the green one that is being auctioned as a rebuilder and taken apart, well, lets just say there is a reason for that.......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Rob.

Thanks. All fair advice. The one thing I do know is I never sell my hobbies as "investments" after years of pursuing hobbies. Frankly, my wife is smarter then that. This is purely for the project/challenge, the social aspects, and the desire to see these trucks restored. So, profit motive is not part of my mix (& loss is a normal hobby outcome for me). So that is at least one future disappointment avoided!

Funny you ask about the garage because I have been taking some measurements. We have a decent sized garage (26' deep and 41' wide) and I can use about half that space, however, my garage doors are only 8' high... so that is a logistics challenge. I need to be indoors due to weather in Indiana for many steps in this process. I have no neighbors around my driveway so that is not a problem.

You are not the first to mention buying a restored truck (or having someone restore the truck) vs. trying to restore a truck is almost always a better outcome if you can afford it.

I am letting that sink in... I have a feeling that is a lesson I need to consider given my personality!

However, for those capable and patient enough to do work themselves, I also see a great reward in that.

I have some inqueries out on a "outsourced" approach as well. I realize the tools and equipment needed to work on these trucks safely will not be cheap.

Again, thanks for all the input.

Hi Rob.

Thanks. All fair advice. The one thing I do know is I never sell my hobbies as "investments" after years of pursuing hobbies. Frankly, my wife is smarter then that. This is purely for the project/challenge, the social aspects, and the desire to see these trucks restored. So, profit motive is not part of my mix (& loss is a normal hobby outcome for me). So that is at least one future disappointment avoided!

Funny you ask about the garage because I have been taking some measurements. We have a decent sized garage (26' deep and 41' wide) and I can use about half that space, however, my garage doors are only 8' high... so that is a logistics challenge. I need to be indoors due to weather in Indiana for many steps in this process. I have no neighbors around my driveway so that is not a problem.

You are not the first to mention buying a restored truck (or having someone restore the truck) vs. trying to restore a truck is almost always a better outcome if you can afford it.

I am letting that sink in... I have a feeling that is a lesson I need to consider given my personality!

However, for those capable and patient enough to do work themselves, I also see a great reward in that.

I have some inqueries out on a "outsourced" approach as well. I realize the tools and equipment needed to work on these trucks safely will not be cheap.

Again, thanks for all the input.

That is exactly the reason I brought up the potential restoration facility. A lot of folks don't think this part through. An eight foot overhead door opening is not going to allow an "H" model Mack through it. A "B" model is a very tight fit with the steer axle tires 1/2 flattened, and the vertical stack removed above the muffler. This is experience speaking.......

With a wrecked car you need about twice the workspace the car takes up as a parking space. With a large truck torn to pieces, you need at least twice. Your spare room depletes on short order and you start to finding little cubby holes to shove stuff, then you repurchase what you have because you cannot find it when needed.....

Man, this all sounds too familiar. You'd think I'd been through some of this before.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup. I was resigned to the fact I would have to separate the cab from the chassis prior to any work being done in the garage if I wanted to work from home.

I am also thinking about using an offsite facility that gives me lots more room and a 12' & 14' utility door.

However, then you have to travel to start work & leave all the tools off site, and does that slowly kill the project when sometimes you only have an hour or two make some incremental progress.

All going through my mind... which obviously makes using a restoration shop the logistics winner by a long shot.

So, again, thanks for the thoughts.

-Rob

Hi,after reading your post,i have to say that i too am impressed with your ambition on this project.I would like to mirror some points already covered by rob,first,you have to be brutally honest with youself,can you actually do everything that needs to be done? no amount of "book learning" is going to replace actual nuts and bolts experience,not meant to discourage mind you,but its something to think about. Then tools,trucks require heavyer,bigger re:more expensive tools. Removing an engine from a car is relatively easy,removing/rebuilding truck components is another animal alltogether. Then there is the matter of room,once you dissasemble a truck,you will find yourself burried in BIG parts! and if you are un-familiar with trucks,dissasembly requires meticulous photography and note taking. This is where some people will "give up" as it can be overwhelming. Trade type skills also come into play (welding,electrical,mechanical etc.) these can be "pricey" if they have to be farmed out. No one can do everything,but a good working knowledge is a must. I am glad to see that the project is something you are looking at realistically,as you will probably never realize a profit on a restored truck no matter how nice or how much time invested. Lastly, in my opinion, SAFETY FIRST! PERIOD! never,EVER go cheap on safety equipment.fire extinguisher,resparators,safty glasses etc. are all non-negotiable items any shop should be equipped with. ATHS,etc. are all good starting places,as well as here, there is a wealth of knowledge available to you....if i can be of any help,plese let me know.....mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I have a Q for some of you, when your thinking off site inside storage , where would you park them? I was thinking of renting out an airport hanger. -

I did that for a couple of years. I work on airfields so the security issue is already taken care of. "T" hangers are not expensive at your small either FBO, or private, non controlled airports. They can run anywhere from $100.00-$200.00 monthly for rent and offer very limited electricity. They are however dry, but very humid and will cause an old truck to rust quickly. Newer hangers being built within the last few years are of much better construction but cost more to rent.

Rob