V8 Cluch Problem

I INSTALLED A NEW SLICER CLUTCH IN MY SUPERLINER LAST WINTER, HAVE ABOUT 35,000 MILES ON IT, SOME ON- ROAD, SOME OFF-ROAD PULLING LOWBOY, DUMP TRAILER, AND WATER TANKER FOR SWIMMIMG POOLS. RUNNING A 500 WITH A 12 SPD., CLUTCH IS SLIPPING ON HARD PULLS. I TRIED TO ADJUST IT TO SPICER SPECS- .500 CLEARANCE BETWEEN THROUGH-OUT BEARING AND CLUTCH BREAK BUT DID NOT HELP. CLUTCH PEDAL DOES NOT HAVE A FIRM FEELING TO IT WHEN YOU START TO PUSH IT DOWN, SEEMS TO ME LIKE THE PROBLEM IS IN THE PRESSURE PLATE. EVERYTHING WORKED FINE UP TO ABOUT A MONTH AGO WHEN IT NEEDED AN ADJUSTMENT BECAUSE OF LACK OF FREEPLAY IN THE PEDAL. ANY HELP?

post-147-1154743235_thumb.jpg

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

• 6 months later...

I INSTALLED A NEW SLICER CLUTCH IN MY SUPERLINER LAST WINTER, HAVE ABOUT 35,000 MILES ON IT, SOME ON- ROAD, SOME OFF-ROAD PULLING LOWBOY, DUMP TRAILER, AND WATER TANKER FOR SWIMMIMG POOLS. RUNNING A 500 WITH A 12 SPD., CLUTCH IS SLIPPING ON HARD PULLS. I TRIED TO ADJUST IT TO SPICER SPECS- .500 CLEARANCE BETWEEN THROUGH-OUT BEARING AND CLUTCH BREAK BUT DID NOT HELP. CLUTCH PEDAL DOES NOT HAVE A FIRM FEELING TO IT WHEN YOU START TO PUSH IT DOWN, SEEMS TO ME LIKE THE PROBLEM IS IN THE PRESSURE PLATE. EVERYTHING WORKED FINE UP TO ABOUT A MONTH AGO WHEN IT NEEDED AN ADJUSTMENT BECAUSE OF LACK OF FREEPLAY IN THE PEDAL. ANY HELP?

I realize this is an old post but if your still having greif try it!

Try this!

Set the clutch brake via the out side linkage (where the clutch cable attaches to the arm the upper portion of the arm has an adjustment ) adjust that adjustment so you can just get the clutch brake to work at the floor RIGHT at the bottom!Now go up and check your free pedal! Is there any? If not whined the clutch ring in till you get 1 1/2 inch at the top of the pedal and see if this helps your problem!

IF You have too much free pedal you need to back the ring OUT in the opposite direction to get that 1 1/2 free pedal!It all hinges on that clutch brake being set at the bottom!If its not set at the bottom and you do an internal adjustment and its an EASY pedal clutch you throw the geometry out to lunch and it will slip!

Give it a try hope this helps ya out!

Edited by fjh

I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS SEVERAL TIMES THINKING MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING BUT I KEEP COMING UP WITH THE SAME RESULTS, SLIPPING UNDER A HARD PULL. ALSO NO OIL INSIDE BELL HOUSING SO I DON'T THINK OIL IS GETTING ON THE CLUTCH. TIME TO PULL THE TRANS. :angry:

I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS SEVERAL TIMES THINKING MAYBE I MISSED SOMETHING BUT I KEEP COMING UP WITH THE SAME RESULTS, SLIPPING UNDER A HARD PULL. ALSO NO OIL INSIDE BELL HOUSING SO I DON'T THINK OIL IS GETTING ON THE CLUTCH. TIME TO PULL THE TRANS. :angry:

DO NOT set the clutch the way spicer tells ya to Forget their measuments. .There out to lunch!

Start over please !It may save you alot of work. Set the clutch brake at the very, very bottom of the pedal with the external adjustment and go from that!To much free pedal Betcha this is what you'll have to do >>>(back the ring out) OR not likly>>>> (not enough free pedal turn the ring in)<<Not likly.

1 to 1 1/2 at the top try it and lemeno! I will check here in a couple of days.

Then if it dosent work then pull the clutch agian.

I have fixed several slipping problems by doing this!You may have a bum clutch but, humor me try this set!

After that.You may have a Bum clutch. OR

Is it possible you have the wrong torque rating on the clutch????

Is it a reman??

Fred

Edited by fjh

DO NOT set the clutch the way spicer tells ya to Forget their measuments. .There out to lunch!

Start over please !It may save you alot of work. Set the clutch brake at the very, very bottom of the pedal with the external adjustment and go from that!To much free pedal Betch this is what you'll have to do >>>(back the ring out) OR not likly>>>> (not enough free pedal turn the ring in)<<Not likly.

1 to 1 1/2 at the top try it and lemeno! I will check here in a couple of days.

Then if it dosent work then pull the clutch agian.

I have fixed several slipping problems by doing this!You may have a bum clutch but, humor me try this set!

After that.You may have a Bum clutch. OR

Is it possible you have the wrong torque rating on the clutch????

Is it a reman??

Fred

Amen.

I, too always set up the linkage so the clutch brake grabs at the very bottom of pedal travel, then set the internal adjusting ring for about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free pedal.

It's always worked for me!

Depending on the particular linkage setup you have, there may just not be enough overall travel to make it work any other way.

I've never measured the clearance between throwout bearing & clutch brake. In my opinion thats irrelevant as long as :

(1) the clutch brake actuates at the bottom of pedal travel

(2) The clutch pedal has 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free travel at the top.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Amen.

I, too always set up the linkage so the clutch brake grabs at the very bottom of pedal travel, then set the internal adjusting ring for about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free pedal.

It's always worked for me!

Depending on the particular linkage setup you have, there may just not be enough overall travel to make it work any other way.

I've never measured the clearance between throwout bearing & clutch brake. In my opinion thats irrelevant as long as :

(1) the clutch brake actuates at the bottom of pedal travel

(2) The clutch pedal has 1 1/2 to 2 inches of free travel at the top.

I Garrenty ya if you have the clutch set this way ,The measurments will be in the ball park!

• 4 weeks later...

WELL AFTER TRYING EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHERS ADJUSTMENT. NOTHING WORKED, SO I PULLED THE TRANS. AND FOUND THE PRESSURE PLATE WAS THE PROBLEM. WHILE THE PLATE WAS ON THE FLOOR, YOU COULD SEE THE CENTER COLUMN WAS OFF TO ONE SIDE AS IF THE SPRINGS ON ONE SIDE WERE WEAK. COULD NOT SEE ANY THING WRONG INSIDE. I WAS WRONG ON THE MILEAGE, I CHECKED MY MAINTENANCE RECORDS AND IT HAS 17,000 MILES ON IT (EVEN WORSE) IT WAS A NEW CLUTCH, NOT A REMAN. SPICER SAID WARRANTY IS ONE YEAR, I'M 1 YEAR PASSED THAT. I HAD SPICER CHECK THE TORQUE RATING AND IT WAS THE RIGHT CLUTCH SETUP. SO NOW I HAVE 2 NEW DISCS AND A VERY LARGE PAPER WEIGHT! HAULED A LOAD OF WATER TODAY AND EVERYTHING SEEMS GOOD.

WELL AFTER TRYING EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHERS ADJUSTMENT. NOTHING WORKED, SO I PULLED THE TRANS. AND FOUND THE PRESSURE PLATE WAS THE PROBLEM. WHILE THE PLATE WAS ON THE FLOOR, YOU COULD SEE THE CENTER COLUMN WAS OFF TO ONE SIDE AS IF THE SPRINGS ON ONE SIDE WERE WEAK. COULD NOT SEE ANY THING WRONG INSIDE. I WAS WRONG ON THE MILEAGE, I CHECKED MY MAINTENANCE RECORDS AND IT HAS 17,000 MILES ON IT (EVEN WORSE) IT WAS A NEW CLUTCH, NOT A REMAN. SPICER SAID WARRANTY IS ONE YEAR, I'M 1 YEAR PASSED THAT. I HAD SPICER CHECK THE TORQUE RATING AND IT WAS THE RIGHT CLUTCH SETUP. SO NOW I HAVE 2 NEW DISCS AND A VERY LARGE PAPER WEIGHT! HAULED A LOAD OF WATER TODAY AND EVERYTHING SEEMS GOOD.

Well I'm sorry to hear that, Sounds like you tried everything The fact that they are not standing behind that clutch bothers me ,With that low of miles regarless of the year warrenty I would do a little badgering and see if they will kick in a little on the price of that second clutch!

Edited by fjh