Looking For Your Input

:SMOKIE-LFT::SMOKIE-LFT: Easter week end I got started in a positive direction on my project. I sandblasted the nice set of framerails I got from K-All at Christmas time and gave them 2 nice coats of 2 part epoxy primer. I plan on sliding them in maybe on the may long weekend, weather permitting. What I was figuring that while I was doing the rail change it would be a good time to update the rear suspension, since the rails are drilled for camelback and I have a Neway so I have to redrill fo Neway anyway, I wanted to update to a more modern Hendrickson air ride from a newer Mack. I found a 2000 CH that has a blown motor closeby that the guy wants to get out of his way soon so he'll sell it whole or parts. It has the suspension I want with a set of 3:90 ratio 40,000lb Rockwells on 11r x22.5 tires on hub pilot rimswith a 13spd fuller ahead of them, not sure if it's a Dir or Od. I was planning on using the 15 spd Dir fuller I have on my E9 since it's not going to be a daily driver and we can't go over 65mph here in Ontario I figure the 15spd should work about right. If anyone has any advise, input or what ever I'd like to here from you since I was planning to get ahold of the guy about the CH maybe this week. I should just get the whole truck since it has alot of good parts on it anyway, that I'm sure someone will need someday would be a shame to see it go to scrap.

:SMOKIE-LFT: No I don't think the rad and air to air will go in an RW, but I know CL and MH ones will they are the same as the RW. I'm mainly after the CH parts truck for the tail end of it. The truck does have a new rad and a bunch of new stuff in it. I'm sure some one will need something off it eventually, rather than see the rest of it go to scrap.

:SMOKIE-LFT: Yeah I did measure both trucks for that about a month ago, that's why I have been looking pretty serious at it. And the suspension and banjos are extremely clean so I'm figuring on buying it for those reasons. I would prefer a set of 4:11 rears with a nice 18spd double overdrive tranny, but of coarse when you are treasure hunting you don't very often come across exactly what you want, especially for a price that you would want to pay for just a hobby. So I figure the 3:90 rears and my 15spd or the 13 spd from the Ch should be a happy medium for it. The price is right.

IM gonna stretch it, it needs about 40" put in it. How soon might you have the CH, I will need at least 1 if not 2 cross members, if they are the same? I could use them, help you off set your cost right bobo post-2423-127345810122_thumb.jpg

The frame of the CH is deeper than the RW and will fit over the RW as a second rail. You could use it as a double over the drives and reinforce the splice of your extension.

IM gonna stretch it, it needs about 40" put in it. How soon might you have the CH, I will need at least 1 if not 2 cross members, if they are the same? I could use them, help you off set your cost right bobo post-2423-127345810122_thumb.jpg

:SMOKIE-LFT: The CH has the 1 pc stamped steel from the factory. You probably want the 2 pc cross members, thats what I'm putting back in mine, I dug a couple decent ones out of my archives a couple weeks ago and blasted and primed them. I stopped at 401 Mack in windsor this afternoon after work and priced out a new one they are over $260 new, so since I need one more myself I need to go pickin. I'll see if I can't find a few extra ones in the next week, if the 2pc is what you're after. As for the CH I'm going to track down the guy later this week and see if I can mack a deal with him. I 'm kinda leaning toward buying it whole. I want to build a singl axle dump truck later on, and was just talking to my dad about it this evening and I thougt that if I took the bunk off it abd put a back in the cab I could shorten the frame to take a 10to 12ft box.

• 2 weeks later...
:SMOKIE-LFT: Well I drove past the Ch for a few weeks on my way to and from work and gave the guy a month to think over my offer. I guess I should have stopped in to see him 2 days sooner. I missed the boat on the whole truck, which doesn't bother me, because I really only wanted the back half only. Turns out the Mack dealer near by was in need of a cab for a wrecked CL dump truck in their shop so they beat me to it and offered the guy more than I was willing to pay for it whole. So I ended up buying the cut off from the Mack dealer on monday afternoon, and I had to pay a little more for it than I agreed on with the original owner plus the 13% sales tax on top of a higher price, and it didn't come with any tires on it or the fifth wheel like we orinally planned. Oh well just a few more parts to go pickin for, but I still ended up getting the cutoff for a pretty good price. I hope to get it home some night this week, so I can go to town and finish taking the RW apart and get the new framerails in it. Maybe this aftrenoon if it stops raining, we're doing this outside due to lack of space in our shop

:SMOKIE-LFT: Well I got the rear cutoff from the CH home tonight. The axle housings and suspension parts are all super clean just need a little degreasing no rust on them, factory finish. I got the RW all striped and awaiting the new frame rails on monday afternoon. All I need now is a nice day and a couple of my friends for some extra hands. I'll see what saturday brings.

• 1 month later...
:SMOKIE-LFT: Well I finally got enough ambition to slide those framerails in today along with a new crossmember under the cab. What a heck of a job when your working alone, just came in around dark. They look pretty good it's starting to look like a truck again , makes me feel good that they are finally in. Next part of the project is to clean up the new rears an suspension. I need to get a frame drill from my buddy for a weekend.

• 4 months later...
:SMOKIE-LFT: Finally got the tail end of the old superliner together 2 weekends ago. In the spring I got a suspension from a 2000 ch real cheap, it's on hendrickson air ride with 3:90 eaton 40, 000 lb rears on hub pilots. It looks alot more like a truck again. I started on my coverall fabric building that will house the truck today, so it will soon be in side out of the weather. I need to get some pictures to post.