Finally:

Rob

After one and a half years arguing back and forth with the Illinois Secretary of State bonded title division, I finally have a title for my 74 RL797LST. This is the truck I cut the roof from almost a year ago and was proceeding rather nicely until this ordeal was evident to be a drawn out affair. I then stopped work, backed the truck into a corner, removed the batteries and let it sit in place.

Now maybe I can get it wrapped up. This one is just going to be an average repaint with no restoration type work taking place. Once I rebuild some of the inner roof supporting structure and put a new skin on, it can go outside as the truck is still complete.

No real need in moving forward if one can't get the unit registered.

Rob

post-78-127314779685_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

After one and a half years arguing back and forth with the Illinois Secretary of State bonded title division, I finally have a title for my 74 RL797LST. This is the truck I cut the roof from almost a year ago and was proceeding rather nicely until this ordeal was evident to be a drawn out affair. I then stopped work, backed the truck into a corner, removed the batteries and let it sit in place.

Now maybe I can get it wrapped up. This one is just going to be an average repaint with no restoration type work taking place. Once I rebuild some of the inner roof supporting structure and put a new skin on, it can go outside as the truck is still complete.

No real need in moving forward if one can't get the unit registered.

Rob

Rob, just curious as to the specs on your RL post, this is my alltime favorite mack, and i plan to restore one at some point, i have been amassing parts and info for a good number of years. once we get settled in our new home, my first priority is getting a shop built.Then to search for a good candidate for restoration, i am able to do about 80% of the work myself, wiring and electrical problems have always been my nemissis, as my background is primarily paint/bodywork. I can understand your frustration with the title issues, been there done that! i know that laws vary state to state, but i was wondering if you had any advise,tips etc. on getting a tractor registered that will not be used commercially. mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Rob, just curious as to the specs on your RL post, this is my alltime favorite mack, and i plan to restore one at some point, i have been amassing parts and info for a good number of years. once we get settled in our new home, my first priority is getting a shop built.Then to search for a good candidate for restoration, i am able to do about 80% of the work myself, wiring and electrical problems have always been my nemissis, as my background is primarily paint/bodywork. I can understand your frustration with the title issues, been there done that! i know that laws vary state to state, but i was wondering if you had any advise,tips etc. on getting a tractor registered that will not be used commercially. mark

Hi Mark, this is my third 700 series truck and it has an ENDT866 engine with a Mack TRDL107 transmission, with Rockwell SQHD rears. Nothing really wrong with the truck itself except that it has wedge brakes on the front and rear. They work perfect and were rebuilt just before I received the truck. The roof was rotted off of it from sitting under pine trees derelict for many years.

This truck was a California truck all it's life and was a transfer dump unit. I've spoken with the original owner who used it in that capacity for many years. It was traded in on a different truck so really hasn't worked in a lot of years. Subsequent owners scrapped it in California, (on paper) without anything actually happening to the truck. My understanding is California offered a premium payment for getting the older "less efficient and heaven forbid, "dirty"" trucks off the roads. It was purchased by a gent in Minnesota with plans for a restoration but seven years later I found it via a friend. After my acquisition, the troubles started; California informed Illinois the truck was scrapped, Illinois wanted to issue a junking certificate rather than a title. After many photos, enlistment of outside sources for appaisal value, inspections by state police, and numerous other obstacles, they issued a title with the exception it could never be titled again in California.

The effort will be worth the time now that the ordeal is finalized. I'll get back to it shortly.

Gonna try to link back to the original postings when I first dragged the truck home.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Congrats on a long drawn out battle with "the powers that be" That will be a fine looking unit when done

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Man, I must be losing it. I started this battle in October of 2007. Guess that has been a little longer than 1.5 years.

If I keep up this pace I'll be sitting in my wheelchair at an asylum gumming creamed corn in front of the tube.

Rob

Man, I must be losing it. I started this battle in October of 2007. Guess that has been a little longer than 1.5 years.

If I keep up this pace I'll be sitting in my wheelchair at an asylum gumming creamed corn in front of the tube.

Rob

Hi rob, were you able to find the link back to when you brought the truck home? i'd kinda like to see that...mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Hi rob, were you able to find the link back to when you brought the truck home? i'd kinda like to see that...mark

Hi Mark, I tried but can only go back one year and no further. It has been a bit longer than that when it came to the shop and I posted progress.

I dont' know if Barry has further archices available or not, but I'll ask.

Rob