What Tranny Do I Have?

Warpman89

evening gentlemen,

I have an '88 r688st with an E6 350 econodyne and a 12 speed mack tranny. Its the one with a direct/high/neutral/reverse all air shifted and also has a low/direct air shift on the dash for lo lo. What tranny is this, what oil do i use, and how much? also, i believe i have mack rears as well, but how can i find what model axles i have and what ratio they are? thanks

evening gentlemen,

I have an '88 r688st with an E6 350 econodyne and a 12 speed mack tranny. Its the one with a direct/high/neutral/reverse all air shifted and also has a low/direct air shift on the dash for lo lo. What tranny is this, what oil do i use, and how much? also, i believe i have mack rears as well, but how can i find what model axles i have and what ratio they are? thanks

On your rearend on top right on the sloped part below the breather there is a flat place clean it all off the gear ratio will be there probly 4.17 or 4.42 or 4.64 rarely could be 5.13 .For the transmission there is a flat place on one side or the other that has the numbers stamped in it also. I have the identical truck but i replace the 12 speed mack with a 13 speed fuller !! I just use gear oil the check plug is on the right side rear it is usually a square headed plug ,they hold about 4 or 5 gallon.You fill the oil up till it comes out the check plug!!

evening gentlemen,

In low gear your ratio is 23.08 to 1 and the over drive in the 12 speed is .78 pretty fast!!

On your rearend on top right on the sloped part below the breather there is a flat place clean it all off the gear ratio will be there probly 4.17 or 4.42 or 4.64 rarely could be 5.13 .For the transmission there is a flat place on one side or the other that has the numbers stamped in it also. I have the identical truck but i replace the 12 speed mack with a 13 speed fuller !! I just use gear oil the check plug is on the right side rear it is usually a square headed plug ,they hold about 4 or 5 gallon.You fill the oil up till it comes out the check plug!!

can i use heavy gear oil for the diffs too? like 85w-140?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a TRTXL1070B.

Use 85W90 gear lube, and fill it until the lube is even with the filler plug hole.

I just did a ton of research on this subject from every source I could find and will never put gear oil in my trannys because it will not circulate into the small passages of the main and aux trannys. Everywhere I went from Mack to Rotella says to use either 30, 40 or 50w manual transmission or motor oil with detergent.

I just did a ton of research on this subject from every source I could find and will never put gear oil in my trannys because it will not circulate into the small passages of the main and aux trannys. Everywhere I went from Mack to Rotella says to use either 30, 40 or 50w manual transmission or motor oil with detergent.

Eaton Fuller transmissions should use 50w.

Mack transmissions use 85 - 90 gear lube.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"