Vin Number On 1900 Mack Truck

Penn, Mack built their first bus in 1900, but did not build any trucks until 1905. What do you have ?

It is actually a 1928 Mack. I know they didn't have vin #'s back then, so did they use a patent # instead? If so where would it be located? We have searched the frame, engine, doors, and everything else looking for an identification number of some sort.

1928 what? AB and AC serial numbers are located on the left front top of the frame, in front of the radiator on AB's and under the hood on the AC's. The serial number is also located on a serial number plate, on AB's this was frame mounted behind the spring hanger; on AC's it is on the seat riser, passenger side facing front unless it was a cowl only, then on the cowl, inside, right of the fan housing.

1928 what? AB and AC serial numbers are located on the left front top of the frame, in front of the radiator on AB's and under the hood on the AC's. The serial number is also located on a serial number plate, on AB's this was frame mounted behind the spring hanger; on AC's it is on the seat riser, passenger side facing front unless it was a cowl only, then on the cowl, inside, right of the fan housing.

To be honest, I have very little info on this. I just started a new job @ an asphalt company. My new boss is testing me, I do believe. All I know is the company has a 1928 Mack Dump Truck they are restoring. He gave me a list of patents and really wants to know if there would be a VIN number on it anywhere. According to all I can find - I am not good at navigating info back that far on the net - VIN numbers were not used way back when. SO I am guessing the patents were used as a form of identifying a vehicles in the beginning. The patents he gave me are as follows - 657650 9/11/1900, 885986 4/28/1908, and 921963 5/18/1909. So in essence I need to know if the patents are the "VIN #'s" for the truck. Would you happen to know when VIN #'s were introduced? I know VIN #'s were finally organized into the system we currently have back in the 1980's. Would love to get your opinion on this. Thanks for your help so far!

Why don't you get in touch with the definitive source for this information?

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum in Allentown is a wonderful resource and has a huge amount of information available on specific trucks.

Here is link to the contact information: http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=40

I have had nothing but excellent help from the folks at the museum. They normally do not make any charge for services but are dependent on donations.

Phildirt