Help For A New Member (Looking For A B42)

Hello

I just found this site. So much information and such a wealth of knowledge.

I want to buy a single axel Mack as a project to build into a weekend fun truck. I have several questions, any help would be great.

1.) I am looking for a single axel Mack with a 471 detroit and a 5 speed. I think that finding a B42 would be the best package to find that in, is this true? Anyone know of one cheap?

2.) Do all of the Mack B's come with Air brakes? I would like to avoid them if possible?

3.) Can you find parts for the gas engine 402 macks? (carbs, distributors...)

4.) Do I need a CDL to drive the B series Mack? If I go a gas engine B20 would I need one? Diesel B61?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Dieselman

Hello

I just found this site. So much information and such a wealth of knowledge.

I want to buy a single axel Mack as a project to build into a weekend fun truck. I have several questions, any help would be great.

1.) I am looking for a single axel Mack with a 471 detroit and a 5 speed. I think that finding a B42 would be the best package to find that in, is this true? Anyone know of one cheap?

2.) Do all of the Mack B's come with Air brakes? I would like to avoid them if possible?

3.) Can you find parts for the gas engine 402 macks? (carbs, distributors...)

4.) Do I need a CDL to drive the B series Mack? If I go a gas engine B20 would I need one? Diesel B61?

Thank you so much!

You make a great choice.

You will be hard pressed to find a B model with a 4-71 screamer engine unless someone particularly wanted it that way. I don't believe they were ever offered that way as built from Mack. I could be wrong however.

Not all B model Mack trucks had air brakes. The lighter variants, (B-20, B30) series trucks used vacume over hydraulic brakes.

The EN-401/402 series gasoline engines were very good in their respective timeframes but are obsolete to obtain parts for easily.

Anything that has air brakes if operated commercially will require a CDL drivers license. If the truck is licensed as an antique it may not be required depending on local laws which seem to differ from state to state.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.