2001 E-7 355/380?

trucknut

I run a 01 Mack CH613 day cab E-7 355/380,fuller 10speed,eaton rears with 4.11 ratio I believe.I pull a 05 Etnyer paver special low boy max loads grossing 90,000. My real question is when is the engine making 355 horsepower and when is it making 380 horsepower.What would be the total tourque and when I have tried to do searches and have not been able to come up with anything.I think the truck does ok for what it is but more power would be great.We have some older RD's with e-7 350's and the 355/380's are stronger for sure not alot but stronger.we also have some CH's with the 427 which are strongest but still I think they should run better as most loaded trucks seem to walk us with not much trouble.Thanks in advance!

me and my cousin had a pete with a det 470/500 in it i dont know if the mack engine works the same way but when the det got in a hard pull is when it would go to 500 for a little extra power. but with gross weight under 80,000 (road truck) it didnt get in a hard pull verry often. i hope this helps a little...joe

The 355/380 rating gives 380 HP in top gear and 355 HP in the other gears. The idea is to encourage the driver to stay in top gear and save fuel rather than downshift. These engines pull a lot stronger than their rating would suggest- UPS has a lot of them and the drivers at out local UPS Center would write them up for low power if they wouldn't pull the local 3% upgrade (Napp Hill) in top gear. I've driven one at near 80K GCW and felt no need for more power. However, if you're running a lot of mountains or overweight loads a 427 HP or higher rated E7 might work better.

Most of the time, its lower rating on the pedal and the higher on cruise. Just get the dealer to turn off the feature, full power all the time. Might have room to bump it up too. Lucky for me we have the capability to interface with the truck ourselves and I just turn off the feature before I take the truck and turn it back on for employees. Helps to be the chief cook and bottle washer...\

Adam

I run a 01 Mack CH613 day cab E-7 355/380,fuller 10speed,eaton rears with 4.11 ratio I believe.I pull a 05 Etnyer paver special low boy max loads grossing 90,000. My real question is when is the engine making 355 horsepower and when is it making 380 horsepower.What would be the total tourque and when I have tried to do searches and have not been able to come up with anything.I think the truck does ok for what it is but more power would be great.We have some older RD's with e-7 350's and the 355/380's are stronger for sure not alot but stronger.we also have some CH's with the 427 which are strongest but still I think they should run better as most loaded trucks seem to walk us with not much trouble.Thanks in advance!

What you have is a Maxicruse engine.

Strong torque and full horse power at a lower RPM,

CCRS have little less torque but are still strong

These numbers are pre-ccrs

@ 1800 RPM you have 355 HP and 1405 lbs on torque

@ 1400 RPM you have 380 HP and 1425 lbs on torque

@ 1100 and 1200 RPMs 1560 lbs on torque,Which is the same as the 427, That is why it fells strong,,,,,Its all about the torque

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

What you have is a Maxicruse engine.

Strong torque and full horse power at a lower RPM,

CCRS have little less torque but are still strong

These numbers are pre-ccrs

@ 1800 RPM you have 355 HP and 1405 lbs on torque

@ 1400 RPM you have 380 HP and 1425 lbs on torque

@ 1100 and 1200 RPMs 1560 lbs on torque,Which is the same as the 427, That is why it fells strong,,,,,Its all about the torque

Thanks for the info thats cool I generally try to short shift it!

I ordered my 2002 RD heavy spec tri-axle dump with one special. Loved that 355/380. Great torque, great power, great fuel mileage. It saved about $2200 over a 427 e7 at the time and around $4000 over a 460. Only down side was the special order put the truck behind 6-8 weeks for an "engineering review". No big deal. Caused the RD to come out as an RD690 instead of an RD688. Dealer changed the setting to always give 380.