Behr Fan And Electronic Modulating Fan Drive

I have a 2005 Mack Model 542 CXN613 with a Mack AC-427 Aset Engine. How does the electric fan drive function? What do the five wires that come out of the fan hub do? The fan is a Behr Fan. Also, has anyone dealt with any problems with the fan not shutting off? Thanks.

I have a 2005 Mack Model 542 CXN613 with a Mack AC-427 Aset Engine. How does the electric fan drive function? What do the five wires that come out of the fan hub do? The fan is a Behr Fan. Also, has anyone dealt with any problems with the fan not shutting off? Thanks.

WELCOME.gif Hi John!

If you can 't turn the fan by hand its Seazed!You will need to replace it!The wires control what it does when its working correctly If you can't turn it a little by hand its not working corectly!

WELCOME.gif Hi John!

If you can 't turn the fan by hand its Seazed!You will need to replace it!The wires control what it does when its working correctly If you can't turn it a little by hand its not working corectly!

I made a Behr fan clutch tester out of an old wiring harness plug and some alligator clips. This put 12v and ground straght to the fan to unlock it, Like FJH said if it's locked up tight and cant be turned by hand without slipping the belts, it bad and you gotta change it.

post-1740-12664217956551_thumb.jpg

post-1740-12664218107489_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for your replys...However, the problem is not that the fan is not working at all, but that it will not shut off and has a high pitch scream which can drive you crazy by the end of the day!!! What I would like to do is be able to put the fan on a toggle switch. That way, when the fan doesn't need to be on I can shut it off. This is why I was wondering about what the five wires do...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much for your replys...However, the problem is not that the fan is not working at all, but that it will not shut off and has a high pitch scream which can drive you crazy by the end of the day!!! What I would like to do is be able to put the fan on a toggle switch. That way, when the fan doesn't need to be on I can shut it off. This is why I was wondering about what the five wires do...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

When the fan goes bad it locks up tight, however they really never totally freewheel like a (air) horton or eaton. Back in 2003 in Mack school thay showed us a video of how it works, it was in German so I dont know what they were saying. It does have fulid (like ATF) inside and magnets that open and close passage ways inside to lock or unlock. I talked to one of the engineers at Mack about installing a fan over-ride switch like the air fan clutches have and he said "cant be done".