1970 Rsl 700 ! Help !

chrisb427

i got an old california roadway tractor with a 318 detroit in it. i love the truck and it is in awesome shape the onlt problam is it dosent have power stearin. i was wondering what would be some options to install a new systen .... could i use a r 600 axle and stearing box? i have a 66 r model that is in ok shape but everything is there that i am willing to tear up for parts any help or suggestions would be great thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Please clarify what series of truck you have. RS, RL, R, etc.. Need to know more before I can be of help.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the truck dosent have any badging on it is there a way to tell if it is a RS RL or an R .... i dont think the cab is original thanks for all your help .....here is a pic of the nose

It is not an RL due to the steel frame. The cab is newer than 1970. The truck looks to have standard R series cab trunion mounts for the front mounting. If the steering gear is located inside the frame, it is a standard R. If the steering gear is mounted on the outside of the frame. It would be an RS. On both the RS, and RL series, the frame rails run straight from the front to rear of the truck. The standard R series frame rails "splay" out under the cab meaning the front is wider than the rear of the frame.

The truck serial, or vin number is stamped into the passenger side frame rail just before, or after the Rt. front wheel. I've seen it both places.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I converted my RS700L from manual to power sterring. I had to locate a pump,sterring box, resivor and lines. also needed a diffrent sterring shaft as it was to long or short with the new power steering box. I had to drill a few holes in the rail to mount and make a few large washers to get it flush on the frame rail. Not a bad job to do one weekend.

Trent