Need To Order Tires:

Rob

For Christmas Momma says I can order a pair of tires for the B67 with a limit of $750.00 for the pair. I called Firestone and they suggest their T819 series as it is available in both 10.00RX20, and 11RX22.5. The truck is on Daytons and I really don't care for the gap that 22.5 Dayton rims leave on the hubs at the perimeter of the rim. 20" rims do not have this gap. I'm going to stay with 20" on the steers, and switch to 22.5" on the drives.

I'm wanted more of a rib type all position tire to match all the way around. I won't be converting this tractor to anything else and it will be used as is.

Anybody have any other suggestions as to which type, or brand of tires to run?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

For Christmas Momma says I can order a pair of tires for the B67 with a limit of $750.00 for the pair. I called Firestone and they suggest their T819 series as it is available in both 10.00RX20, and 11RX22.5. The truck is on Daytons and I really don't care for the gap that 22.5 Dayton rims leave on the hubs at the perimeter of the rim. 20" rims do not have this gap. I'm going to stay with 20" on the steers, and switch to 22.5" on the drives.

I'm wanted more of a rib type all position tire to match all the way around. I won't be converting this tractor to anything else and it will be used as is.

Anybody have any other suggestions as to which type, or brand of tires to run?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob.

We've been running a lot of Kumho KRD01 drive tires with no problems, also some Dunlop drives, but I can't recall the number right now, it's SPxxx something. These are in 11R22.5.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hi Rob.

We've been running a lot of Kumho KRD01 drive tires with no problems, also some Dunlop drives, but I can't recall the number right now, it's SPxxx something. These are in 11R22.5.

Hi Herb, the tire dealer that I use has Kumho brand tires and I'll check with him tomorrow. I've had good service from that brand on my trailer, and daughter's car. This was until her ex boyfriend sliced a couple of them for her...... The ones are still on the trailer.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

A little shopping at the local tire vendors can go a long way toward saving some money.

Often times a vendor will have something in inventory that will work well for you at a reasonable discount.

This may be especially true with the 20" radial, as I believe it is a tube type tire and largely obsolete for the fleets and most new trucks.

Potentially a dealer may have some older inventory or tires in stock that someone ordered and failed to take delivery of.

Another good possibility, although limited by the 20" size, may be "new take-offs". Fleets or motorhomes or anyone with special tire requirements will have a tire dealer take off the new tires and install their particular preference. The dealer typically ends up with the new rubber in inventory and may be willing to sell it at a reduced price. (A little lesson directly from Jimmy - the world's thriftiest operator)

It might pay to look around.

Paul VS

Rob,

A little shopping at the local tire vendors can go a long way toward saving some money.

Often times a vendor will have something in inventory that will work well for you at a reasonable discount.

This may be especially true with the 20" radial, as I believe it is a tube type tire and largely obsolete for the fleets and most new trucks.

Potentially a dealer may have some older inventory or tires in stock that someone ordered and failed to take delivery of.

Another good possibility, although limited by the 20" size, may be "new take-offs". Fleets or motorhomes or anyone with special tire requirements will have a tire dealer take off the new tires and install their particular preference. The dealer typically ends up with the new rubber in inventory and may be willing to sell it at a reduced price. (A little lesson directly from Jimmy - the world's thriftiest operator)

It might pay to look around.

Paul VS

Hi Paul, I have done exactly as you suggest many times in the past with the tire vendor I typically use. This is where I usually come up with brand new 22" tires inexpensively.

We just had Christmas gathering with our son on Friday and this is when the approval was given for the purchase of tires. I have a few good pairs of used 11RX22.5 on Dayton rims, but really want to stay with 20" on the steers as mentioned.

I've found it difficult to find 20" radial tires around here because farmers are about the only ones that will run the 9.00, and the 10.00X20 rubber, and it is getting thin. I don't know about your area but most farmers around this area are so tight they squeak when they walk, and most stuff is bought on price rather than quality, i.e. China. I hear them bitch consistently about their new tires being junk because they bounce so bad, (China, or India trash) and I take the opportunity to make sure they know they "got what they paid for".

Thanks,

Rob

I'm way off the subject Rob, but your comment about the farmers and Chinese tires leads right to it ---

My personal solution to solving a myriad of national problems is a simple 10% import tax on all goods Chinese.

This serves to level the playing field a little, thereby making domestic goods a little more competitive, and allows the USA to repay the Chinese some of the trillions we owe them from our foolish borrowing spree with money generated directly from the very people who insist on supporting the importation of inferior products. Along the way one could hope that we might see the error in our thinking that buying cheap, inferior goods is ever a good idea.

Let me just recall some of the recent Chinese import issues (incidentally - all of these are from the past 24 mos.!):

Toxic toys, Lead paint, Poison pet food, Choking hazards in kid's toys, Sulpher in drywall (poison), Toxins in prepared foods, and the list goes on. And now - we are going to trust these people, who have no regard for human life, to make the tires we use on our high speed, overcrowded highways. All because they are cheap?? WTF?? Are we stupid or what??

Paul VS

I'm way off the subject Rob, but your comment about the farmers and Chinese tires leads right to it ---

My personal solution to solving a myriad of national problems is a simple 10% import tax on all goods Chinese.

This serves to level the playing field a little, thereby making domestic goods a little more competitive, and allows the USA to repay the Chinese some of the trillions we owe them from our foolish borrowing spree with money generated directly from the very people who insist on supporting the importation of inferior products. Along the way one could hope that we might see the error in our thinking that buying cheap, inferior goods is ever a good idea.

Let me just recall some of the recent Chinese import issues (incidentally - all of these are from the past 24 mos.!):

Toxic toys, Lead paint, Poison pet food, Choking hazards in kid's toys, Sulpher in drywall (poison), Toxins in prepared foods, and the list goes on. And now - we are going to trust these people, who have no regard for human life, to make the tires we use on our high speed, overcrowded highways. All because they are cheap?? WTF?? Are we stupid or what??

Paul VS

I don't think it is off subject at all. I really can't say that all of Chinese produced tires are garbage as there are a few good examples out there. My Cat powered RL has Cooper CXA tires on the rear that are 11RX22.5 and made in China. Now I have ran Cooper brand tires for many years on my personal cars and pickups and had never seen this before so I called the tire dealer on it. They went back into the archives of Cooper and found that series, (and many others) were produced in China to our "rigid" specifications. I've driven the truck and it is smooth driving for an aluminum framed tractor on Camelback that does not bounce because of tires. Since then I've seen a couple of other American brand name tires that are produced in China also.

I did read an article in a tire trade publication about how some american companies were using chinese labor due to cost. I can't figger out how something can be produced nearly 12,000 miles from my doorstep and it will sell for less money than something produced 20 miles from home. I don't know if a tariff is the correct way to influence american patronage of american companies or not because the greed of corporate America is largely to blame. I would rather see credit restrictions tightened to the point where only the well qualified would be able to receive it. This would put the check on the exhorbitant lifestyles so many enjoy, but cannot afford.

I do think that the bulk of the tires produced in China and India are manufactured solely to keep the rims from sinking into the ground.

Rob