Need To Replace Studs

macattack

i need to replace the studs on my rear axle wheel. i had some tires changed out on my recently purchased mack truck, and i found a few are left hand thread and the others are right hand thread. also a couple were stripped probably my tire shop accidently screwed them up.

my question is how hard is it to replace the wheel studs on the rear axle.

thanks everybody

i need to replace the studs on my rear axle wheel. i had some tires changed out on my recently purchased mack truck, and i found a few are left hand thread and the others are right hand thread. also a couple were stripped probably my tire shop accidently screwed them up.

my question is how hard is it to replace the wheel studs on the rear axle.

thanks everybody

Are the hubs Budd style, hub pilot style, or Dayton style?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

sorry the pic was too big. i believe their buds.

the truck is a 96 mr 688s refuse truck.

thanks

Budd style use an inner wheel retaining threaded nut, and an outer wheel retaining nut also. Both nut seats and the seats on the rims are tapered. The hub pilot style use one nut with a fixed washer to retain both wheels to the hub. The stud holes are not tapered. Dayton hubs are spokes.

With either the Budd, or hub pilot style the stud is pulled into the hub from the rear to the front of the hub with a puller. I've seen many studs pulled into the hub using a lug nut but that usually galls the snot out of the threads, or stretches the stud rendering it weak and useless. Rent an installer for this installation, or purchase a mechanical one. They can take a lot of mechanical force to pull them in too..... A Dayton style spoke hub will have the studs screwed into the spokes. You will need a stud extractor if the threads are stripped to grip the body and twist it out. If you can get two nuts onto the threads, jam them together with wrenches and gripping on the lower nut turn the stud out of it's mounting.

Be prepared for some busted knuckles as is the norm for me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If it's RH and LH threads then it must be the old style Budds.

Dayton and Unimount are all RH thread.

so do you think the other side would be the same. what i meant was on one side and one tire there were lh and rh studs. is that normal for the old style bud.

i think it would proibably be a good idea to replace them to lh. what do you think

thanks

so do you think the other side would be the same. what i meant was on one side and one tire there were lh and rh studs. is that normal for the old style bud.

i think it would proibably be a good idea to replace them to lh. what do you think

thanks

No sir, not at all. Left handed threaded studs were used on the left side of the truck only. Right handed threaded studs were used only on the right side of the truck. This is only with the "Budd" style cap and nut retaining system. All the hub pilot wheels are right hand thread no matter which side of the truck they are on.

Rob

No sir, not at all. Left handed threaded studs were used on the left side of the truck only. Right handed threaded studs were used only on the right side of the truck. This is only with the "Budd" style cap and nut retaining system. All the hub pilot wheels are right hand thread no matter which side of the truck they are on.

Rob

thanks. so would you recomend back to factory specs. lh on the left side and rh on the rite side?

Edited by macattack