Clutch Question..

Ok dont laugh too hard but I adjusted the clutch on my old Mack backwards. Its got the new style spicer quick adjust clutch in it. Heres the problem....I went a few sweeps with the wrench clockwise out of habit...well it went so far and stopped and now the adjustment is locked up. I reallized after doing this that the new style clutches adjust counter-clock. Have I killed this clutch or is there any way to get it back adjusted the right way. Stupid yes I know...lol...but you'll have moments like this during the usual 80 hour week. I havent been back under the truck to try and see if I can get it back but I have a gut feeling it will have to be replaced now. 98% of my free travel is gone and I figure its just a matter of time. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :pat::pat::pat::wacko:

BTW The old dog is working among 5 cornbinders and wearing them out on tonnage :thumb: Them old 800's...lol....you cant kill em.

I doubt if you broke anything inside the clutch housing- you just adjusted out all the free play and have the clutch partially released.

Yep, I thought it had locked up. But the lock was just extremely non-cooperative until I stuck a large bar to it :D Bad news is that it was nearly out of adjustment anyways and will have to be replaced soon anyways. :wacko:

• 2 years later...
Yep, I thought it had locked up. But the lock was just extremely non-cooperative until I stuck a large bar to it :D Bad news is that it was nearly out of adjustment anyways and will have to be replaced soon anyways. :wacko:

On the quick adjust clutch, you still turn the adjuster clockwise for more free pedal, however when the clutch is just about "used up" and the pressure plate reaches the end of the adustment, if you keep turning the adjuster clockwise, it ends up with no free travel.

Had that happen before, and did the same thing you did, turned it back the other way a little and ran it some more on "borrowed time".

Sounds like it's time for a new clutch.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"