Rear Axle's

Hi Guys. Help again requested.

Here are some piccy's of my rear axles.

Some markings that I can make out are;

69KH313 (on hub)

Pat No. 2251760 (on centre of axle end cap)

6851 43 (between the spokes)

The wedges (which appear to be hand made) between the spoke and the 20in rim are approx 4in wide by 4 1/2in long and 3/8in thick.

I've checked a lot of B's and never seen anything similar.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks. Rod. :wacko:

Also, the square lugs shown inboard only are on two adjacent spokes and the opposite two spokes.

The end clamps DO NOT have heels.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Those appear to be 44,000 lb. Mack rears, the 6 bolt 2 piece axle setup pictured was used on those. Should have CRD(P) 92-front & CRD93 -rear carriers. the 2 piece axles were used on the 44k up til about 87, when they changed to a 1 piece 6 bolt axle. You're right, those wedges do appear to be homemade.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

To my knowledge, it has not been fitted with a tri-axle setup.

The diffs are 9.02 so this leads me to believe that it was used for logging or heavy haulage (my top speed is 60kph or 36mph).

Now I will really show my ignorance, please explain in simple terms what 44,000 lb rears means.

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

To my knowledge, it has not been fitted with a tri-axle setup.

The diffs are 9.02 so this leads me to believe that it was used for logging or heavy haulage (my top speed is 60kph or 36mph).

Now I will really show my ignorance, please explain in simple terms what 44,000 lb rears means.

Thanks. Rod.

The 44,000 lb rears are rated at 44,000 lbs load capacity for the tandems. Most of these were on camelback springs, but I've also seen some on solid walking beam suspension & beam over spring suspension. When I lived back east in CT, I remember seeing some B81SX's with the 9.02 ratio, these were usually equipped with 65,000 lb. rears (CRD(P) 95 & CRD 96 carriers) which have the 8 bolt 2 piece axles, on 24'' rubber & were heavy dump trucks for short haul work in town or on the jobsite. A ratio that low is definitely not conducive to highway operation. The B81 I was running at the time originally had the 65,000 lb rears on 24'' rubber with 8.14 ratio and if I remember correctly with the TRQ 720 quad box in 5th hi @ 2100 rpm it topped out around 52 - 54 MPH. Later I swapped in a set of 55,000 lb rears out of a H81 with 8.24 ratio, really didn't notice the slightly lower ratio (never corrected the speedometer drive, so it still read the same!)

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Rod,

I'm getting in on tail of this conversion, assuming this rear is under a Mack. The wedges look like a version

of "Wedge Master" clamps. I have a B-67 that was speced with a 2 piece clamp that was furnished by Wedge Master.

For the capacity of the rears -- if Tandem rear - look for letters and numbers stamped next to oil level plug on banjo. If single rear -- look for letters and numbers stamped on back side of right axle tube.

Then holler back.

Over & out from Ignorant Ridge

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, this is my B61 with bogie drive. Believe me, I've spent so much time looking for the numbers near the oil level plug and everywhere else. Even after having the old girl sandblasted, I still could not find any numbers in that area. Rod.

Proud owner of;

• 10 months later...

Here I go again, resurrecting an old thread.

Re my rear axles, I've just been informed that they are probably off an NR Mack.

Perhaps this explains the spiders, the lack of numbers in the appropriate places.

Apparently most of those had 9.02 diffs.

Comments?

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Bought a maintenance manual for an NR on ebay and now firmly believe my bogie is off an NR (possibly a -14).

Carriers are CR-32 and CR-33, diffs are 9.02, location of front axle brakes, no part number of axles in normal location.

Apparently the NR initially was fitted with 14.00-20 tyres (single I presume). So when they fitted the duals, this would explain why my spiders are different. Springs are 13 leaves @ 5/8".

Also, ages ago, I mentioned that my diffs were leaking oil around the big oil seal that joins the two halves.

I was advised to use Wurth's Silicone Special 250. Absolutey fantastic. Very expensive, but fantastic.

Just for info. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys. Just to clarify and enlighten. These (problem) wheels were off an NR (military) Mack.

Here is what they originally looked like.

post-52-0-51267800-1308401161_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-02751500-1308401199_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-83307800-1308401228_thumb.jpg

Proud owner of;