01 Vision With 460 Engine

rondefly

Parked the truck thursday night, Friday started it up and no oil pressure, took it two blocks to the mechanic that has been working on it. after putting the computer to it he said it was the turbo, Changed it and still no oil pressure. changed the oil pressure sensor, still nothing. he then took off the oil pan. now he tells me the shaft for the oil pump is broke and the crank is blue. he also said the engine is now junk and would be around 20,000. to fix out of the frame. for some reason I don't trust this sequence of remedies.

When I took it to him the temp was ok, both oil and coolant. but no oil pressure. the on board computer said it may shut down. however I only went two blocks. how easy is it to change the oil pump and shaft? if the crank is truly blue it must have been hot at some time. always had good oil pressure. (starting and first 15 minutes around 60#, after warming up between 40 and 50 while driving. at idle around 25#.

anyone have any ideas.

Ron Triano

Edited by quickie

If you drove it 2 blocks without oil pressure, then the mechanic changed the turbo and test ran it with no oil pressure, then changed the sensor and test ran it again with no oil pressure, then I don't doubt that the crank is junk.

always had good oil pressure. (starting and first 15 minutes around 60#, after warming up between 40 and 50 while driving. at idle around 25#.

anyone have any ideas.

The key word there is "had" good oil pressure. Until something happened and it didn't have any oil pressure.

If there is no oil pressure, shut it down immediately!!!!!

That engine could have been saved if not for running it further after there was no oil pressure.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Parked the truck thursday night, Friday started it up and no oil pressure, took it two blocks to the mechanic that has been working on it. after putting the computer to it he said it was the turbo, Changed it and still no oil pressure. changed the oil pressure sensor, still nothing. he then took off the oil pan. now he tells me the shaft for the oil pump is broke and the crank is blue. he also said the engine is now junk and would be around 20,000. to fix out of the frame. for some reason I don't trust this sequence of remedies.

When I took it to him the temp was ok, both oil and coolant. but no oil pressure. the on board computer said it may shut down. however I only went two blocks. how easy is it to change the oil pump and shaft? if the crank is truly blue it must have been hot at some time. always had good oil pressure. (starting and first 15 minutes around 60#, after warming up between 40 and 50 while driving. at idle around 25#.

anyone have any ideas.

Ron Triano

Its not totaly unheard of for the pump drive to fail, I doubt the crank is bad unless you or he ran it longer than stated ,with out pulling caps down he won't know, the cranks are heat treated and have a blue tinge anyway.A turbo failure will not make the oil preasure go away . till all the oil in the pan is in the muffler!

The puter turbo codes would not be related in to this Failer .

The engine would or should have shut down on low oil preasure that would have and should have happend to you at least once on the way to his shop ( Asuming you drove it there).DID IT!??? If so I doubt the crank is bad yet! Just another opinion take the truck out of his shop to a dealer that knows what their doing!The key here is the Unnessary turbo change with out due cause .He should have pulled the sensor and checked the system with a real gauge before doing ANYTHING else, to confirm the problem, Not depend on a computer code for info. Finding the root of the problem first ,when a pump drive fails, usually two things happen no oil preasure and compressor won't pump.

Just an opinion

The engine would or should have shut down on low oil preasure that would have and should have happend to you at least once on the way to his shop .DID IT!??? If so I doubt the crank is bad yet! Just another opinion take the truck out of his shop to a dealer that knows what their doing!The key here is the Unnessary turbo change.He should have pulled the sensor and checked the system with a real gauge before doing ANYTHING else, to confirm the problem, Not depend on a computer code for info. when a pump drive fails the usually two things happen no oil preasure and compresor won't pump.

Just an opinion

Just a side note on the turbo change ,May have been an OK and justifide preventive measure in light of what has happened. BUT would not have been the cause of preasure loss in this case.

Its not totaly unheard of for the pump drive to fail, I doubt the crank is bad unless you or he ran it longer than stated ,with out pulling caps down he won't know, the cranks are heat treated and have a blue tinge anyway.A turbo failure will not make the oil preasure go away . till all the oil in the pan is in the muffler!

The puter turbo codes would not be related in to this Failer .

The engine would or should have shut down on low oil preasure that would have and should have happend to you at least once on the way to his shop ( Asuming you drove it there).DID IT!??? If so I doubt the crank is bad yet! Just another opinion take the truck out of his shop to a dealer that knows what their doing!The key here is the Unnessary turbo change with out due cause .He should have pulled the sensor and checked the system with a real gauge before doing ANYTHING else, to confirm the problem, Not depend on a computer code for info. Finding the root of the problem first ,when a pump drive fails, usually two things happen no oil preasure and compressor won't pump.

Just an opinion

Thanks all for the imfo. today I looked at the old turbo and the bearings were shot, blades were ok. they had took off one main and one rod cap. those bearings did not look burnt or blue. I ordered a long block from Mack and should have it in about a week.

Ron Triano