Windshield Wipers

was driving in a thunder storm about 1:00 am and my windshield wipers stoped working. i pulled over mesed with the switch got nothing rain eased up. so i took off, after 5 min. or so needed a wipe so i tried em again and they worked. only had to go another 5 or 10 miles and they worked fine, i thought they had trpped the breaker and it had time to kool off and reset, but i was afraid there was a problem, called the mack store to schedule a repair, didn't want to get caught out in the rain so to speak. when i told the service manager what happend,he told me a close lighting strike would cause that, and there was nothing to worrie about. it was hard to believe, but so far i havn't had any more problems. any boudy else ever heard of this?

was driving in a thunder storm about 1:00 am and my windshield wipers stoped working. i pulled over mesed with the switch got nothing rain eased up. so i took off, after 5 min. or so needed a wipe so i tried em again and they worked. only had to go another 5 or 10 miles and they worked fine, i thought they had trpped the breaker and it had time to kool off and reset, but i was afraid there was a problem, called the mack store to schedule a repair, didn't want to get caught out in the rain so to speak. when i told the service manager what happend,he told me a close lighting strike would cause that, and there was nothing to worrie about. it was hard to believe, but so far i havn't had any more problems. any boudy else ever heard of this?

The wiper motor itself had a thermal circuit breaker inside of it. In 2004 they lowered the cutout temp in the motors. We had a driver who would leave his wipers on when it was just misting outside. The somewhat dry windshield was to much drag for the wiper motor and it would pop the thermal breaker and then reset it self again. I talked to a Mack engineer and he gave me a part # for an older motor with the higher cutout temp and everything was Ok after that. I dont have that part# no more, lost my notes. We replaced alot of motors, switches and also check the linkage as it goes bad and makes the motor work extra hard and could overheat.

Ahhhhhhhhhh...... no. We have had alot of trucks get struck by lighting around here (farm trucks parked in fields) and it always fries both ECM's and sometimes the ABS ECM and the AM/FM radio but never have we had a wiper motor screw up for lighting striking. My buddy was driving his CL when it got struck and it blowed the RH rear out side tire off of the rim and fried the ECM's but his wiper motor still worked.