R Model From Aust

rmodelsteve

Hi im from bris australia and have a r model thanks to ebay need to know where to get info on it it has the 711 mack motor and quad box it is a 74 model

any help would be good.the best place to get parts as i need a steering wheel and dash plate with the gear pattern on it

thanks stephen

Hi Mate

so you have got your self an R model.?

it be this for example http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140352921652&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

have been looking at it. ill tell you that it is not a 74 model, unless some one has replaced it with an old motor and a quad box. i think that was originally a flitnstone mack and someone has put a fiber glass bonnet on the old truck.

good luck with her mate, you can check out my gallery for my R.

-Monty

It's interesting to see how they moved the exhaust over to the passenger side. Normally it's still on the right. It seems like it would be a real pita to get in and out of that truck with the drivers door only opening 75% due to the air cleaner. Why not move it to the other side also?

David,

Most of the trucks/ blokes move it to the right hand side to reduce the noise from the exhaust.

Door? why fix it ifts not broke? i guess all the mounts etc have been set up for that thats side, it is a pain in the arse, but getting in and out is easy and you can use the door to heave your self up as you know it wont swing out far.

looking at it a 2nd time its got a collection of all different bits of old macks.

-Monty

Hi, looks like an R607 or early 609 i.e. Small radiator, non turbo and small oil bath air cleaner. Those front hubs, rad and a/cleaner look pretty early style, though the early cab went through till about 75. I guess it would be a thru the floor mechanical clutch. The rear end looks like it has a hollow spindle? Get the chassis #, if it is pre about 72, 73, it will be on the rhs chassis rail along the bottom between the front rear spring bracket and the shock absorber. If it is later than about 72 it would be on rhs rail ahead of the front drive axle. That will tell you what and when. You dont know what people may have changed over the years. If it is what I think it is, then apart from fuel tanks, bumper, steer wheel you have a pretty original ole Mack R609RST. If you want to give me a call 0448 267 676. Regards Jeffro.

Welcome to the forum Stephen

With all this incredible knowledge here... I'm sure your gonna get your new trucks history figured out.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.