Coverting Dm 800 From Positive To Negative Ground

I want to convert a 74 DM 800 from positive to negative ground. I plan on staying with 24 volts and keep the series parallel switch. I started doing it by switching the alt and starter wires, disconnected the gages but I kept getting voltage at the ground terminal at the battery. If anyone has any pointers on the best way of doing this, I'm all ears.

I want to convert a 74 DM 800 from positive to negative ground. I plan on staying with 24 volts and keep the series parallel switch. I started doing it by switching the alt and starter wires, disconnected the gages but I kept getting voltage at the ground terminal at the battery. If anyone has any pointers on the best way of doing this, I'm all ears.

Well first off reversing the wire to the starter will make it spin the engine backwards. So that needs to be replaced or rebuilt for negative ground. Alternator also needs to be rebuilt, rectifier swapped for negative ground or replaced with one that is negative ground. Any DC motor that is wired backwards will spin backwards. So any pump or wiper motors will also have to be reversed. If a motor is designed with a grounded case then you might have a problem mounting it and getting it to spin the other way.

Feel free to keep asking questions.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

All the 1974 DM's that I've encountered were a 12 volt positive ground system, are you sure it's 24 volts, or are you just assuming that because it has (4) 6 volt batteries?

Never seen a 74 with a series parallel switch.

Changing polarity will not make the starter turn backwards, however the heater blower motor will turn backwards unless you reverse the connections to it.

If you've got the old type alternator with the floating ground you can just reverse the connections on that too (ground the negative and connect the hot wire to the alt. positive terminal.

The voltmeter and temp gauges will have to be replaced with units designed for neg. ground.

A 74 would have air operated wipers, so the wipers are not an issue.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Well first off reversing the wire to the starter will make it spin the engine backwards. So that needs to be replaced or rebuilt for negative ground. Alternator also needs to be rebuilt, rectifier swapped for negative ground or replaced with one that is negative ground. Any DC motor that is wired backwards will spin backwards. So any pump or wiper motors will also have to be reversed. If a motor is designed with a grounded case then you might have a problem mounting it and getting it to spin the other way.

Tranks for the info. I to wil be making the ground swap in a 1960 H67LT. I will watch and respond as my project moves forward.

fastwolff@q.com

post-4717-12566885839826_thumb.jpg