Another B-Model Question

Are certain B models worth more than others? I registerd my B-68 the other day and found there were about 1500 of them built. Would a model with lower production numbers increase value? Obviuosly condition plays a big part, but when almost 50,000 61's were built a 64 or 68 are much more rare.

Mack and OshKosh enthusiest in central CT

Surely someone will correct me on this. Don't really see how one can be worth more than the other, but when one has been taken care of and maybe have been babied all it's life and hardly shows any wear and tear not as many miles on it would be worth more than one that has been through hardships and neglect. I hope this answer is what you were asking for.

mike

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Traditionally,the lower the production number of a particular model,the greater the value,all other factors being the same. Just by nature,if there were only 50 of an average trim model ever made,one of those would likely be worth more than one of the top of the line model that there were 2,000 per year made of them. Of course,there are a lot of variables that can alter the formula-rare accessories,uncommon colors,special drivetrain,etc.,as well as general condition,as Mike said. There's also the popularity factor to consider,but I don't believe that affects value as much.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

If I'm not mistaken - the even numbered B-64, B-68, B-42 etc. trucks were all gas engined trucks originally. Traditionally the gas engined trucks have not been worth as much on the open market as the diesels.

Originality, which has not been a huge concern in our hobby, is now becoming more important, so a diesel conversion may not be worth as much as a truck in completely original condition.

The bottom line is - if you were buying purely as an investment, only - I would probably steer clear of the gas engines and converted diesel trucks if an original diesel truck were available.

On the other hand - if you were buying to have some fun, use the truck a little and maybe recoup your restoration costs, then it probably doesn't matter which B model it is. The quality of the truck and the restoration work become the driving forces in the value of the truck on the market.

The production numbers probably play some part in the value - if the unit is truly rare.

It's kind of like owning a boat or an airplane - if you really are concerned with the value, then it's no fun to own it!

It's kind of like owning a boat or an airplane - if you really are concerned with the value, then it's no fun to own it!

:lol: That's a fact!! I take the same line of thinking towards owning an expensive car;I'd have far more fun driving an old beater than I EVER would driving a 1/4 million dollar car,where I'd be consumed with worry over breaking it,scratching it,or wrecking it. BEATERS RULE!! Of course this concept applies to varying degrees. A decent car or truck could be every bit as fun as an old POS.(Probably more so,if it's reliable...)

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>