Guest 45LMSWM

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, as the owner of this truck clearly spent a lot of time, money, and pride on building what he has there. But this is far from an original truck and quite a bit of liberties have been taken here. I am not privy to the specifics, but it appears to me that the L-Model cab, sheet metal, radiator, and fenders have been grafted onto what is at least an '80s vintage RD chassis. I never looked under the hood, but the running gear is clearly of the modern era. Mack still ran the old style FA16 front axle with the rounded off spokes into the early 70s, and the front axle itself is clearly not of old world design. The hood length and profile have also been clearly altered, as the cab height in relation to the frame has been altered as well.

Have a look for yourself. Nice truck, no doubt about that, but not quite a 1954 Mack. Mack never made an LK, and the "M" designation after the "LK2D" would be for "Mining". This is something I, personally, have only seen in a few instances that I can recall, notably in LMSW-M serials which usually begin with "LM2DM". An LJSW or LJSWX serial number would begin with "LJ2D" or "LJ2DX" respectively. The cab and sheet metal on this truck most likely derived from either an LJX/LJSWX or an LMX/LMSWX.

Regards,

John

From what I can see, the pitman arm on the steering looks like a "DM 600" type setup.

Possibly a later model DM chassis with the LJSWX cab & nose transplanted onto it.

Maybe there was a typo in the "LK2DM designation, and the owner was referring to it as a "LJ2DM", in other words an LJ "to" a DM.

I still think it looks pretty, no matter what kind of combination it is, and the builder deserves congrats on a job well done.

(edit) I just looked closer, and the radiator has the higher top tank, like the 1963 and later B81 had, instead of the top tank that was flush with the hood, as was original on the LJSWX and the earlier B81.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I had noticed that about the B81 style top tank once before at a truck show, just forgot all about that until reading the last post.

John

Hello, I'd be lookin at what chassis rails it was built on, X members and mack castings for suspension etc to determine if it was a genuine chassis of a particular model. Regards Jeffro