Dump Trucks Of The Day

other dog

Ive actually seen a guy run down the road with a 16' bed in the air "the whole time we're hollering on the radio (3 TRUCKS Working the same dirt pit) from the oppisite direction on the same highway "driver your beds up" over & over then BAM He hit the overpass with the bed coming off that Western Star.

NEEDLESS TO SAY He didnt work for that co. after that ..

later

yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Ive actually seen a guy run down the road with a 16' bed in the air "the whole time we're hollering on the radio (3 TRUCKS Working the same dirt pit) from the oppisite direction on the same highway "driver your beds up" over & over then BAM He hit the overpass with the bed coming off that Western Star.

NEEDLESS TO SAY He didnt work for that co. after that ..

later

yall

:mack1:

He's lucky he wasn't DEAD after that!

Same thing happened around here about 15 years ago, a guy was driving a DM600 triaxle down HWY 41 and he must have left the PTO engaged, and the up/down lever must have got into the up position.

The story I heard was that a guy in a concrete mixer was running alongside the triaxle waving to the driver that the dump body was up.

Apparently the dump driver thought the mixer driver was just waving "hello" because he kept right on driving.

When the mixer guy noticed that the Meade St. overpass was coming up ahead, he stepped on it to get ahead of the dump truck and not get involved in the impending crash.

Anyhow, the dump body hit the overpass at highway speed, and was ripped off the truck and came to rest in the road.

The driver was hurt pretty bad, but did survive.

I never got a close up look at the damage to the truck, but the company that owned it did repair it and put a new dump body on it, as I saw that particular truck back on the road not too long after.

Them DM's are indestructible!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

He's lucky he wasn't DEAD after that!

Same thing happened around here about 15 years ago, a guy was driving a DM600 triaxle down HWY 41 and he must have left the PTO engaged, and the up/down lever must have got into the up position.

The story I heard was that a guy in a concrete mixer was running alongside the triaxle waving to the driver that the dump body was up.

Apparently the dump driver thought the mixer driver was just waving "hello" because he kept right on driving.

When the mixer guy noticed that the Meade St. overpass was coming up ahead, he stepped on it to get ahead of the dump truck and not get involved in the impending crash.

Anyhow, the dump body hit the overpass at highway speed, and was ripped off the truck and came to rest in the road.

The driver was hurt pretty bad, but did survive.

I never got a close up look at the damage to the truck, but the company that owned it did repair it and put a new dump body on it, as I saw that particular truck back on the road not too long after.

Them DM's are indestructible!

Similar thing happened during the early 90's on the Van Wyck Expressway but turned out to be deadly. Driver had the bed up and hit a pedestrian bridge. The bridge collapsed and fell on top of a car killing at least one person (might have been two). Truck driver escaped serious injury. Here is the bridge. As you can see it was the longer span that collapsed.

What always gets me is how stupid people doing stupid things on the road always kill innocents but they always manage to live. Never got why it works like that.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!