The Right Batteries ? ?

HELLO. AS YOU ALL KNOW I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND I AM A PROUD NEW OWNER OF A B61 63' MODEL. I HAVE A COUPLE BURNING QUESTIONS BUT I WILL ADDRESS ONLY ONE HERE.

UPON BUYING MY B MODEL THE BATTERIES THAT I GOT WITH IT WERE D4 BATTERIES. TOO WIDE FOR THE BATTERY BOXES THAT HOLD THE FACTORY BATTERIES.

WELL WHEN I TRIED TO START IT UP TODAY I FOUND THAT THOSE BATTERIES ARE NOW DEAD AND ARE READY FOR THE SCRAPPER.

HERE IS THE QUESTION. WHAT BATTERY IS CONSIDERED STOCK AND WHERE CAN I GET 2 OF THEM. A FRIEND THAT OWNS ONE USES 2 1200 CRANKING AMP DEKA BATTERIES AND I NEED TO KNOW IF THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH OR DO I NEED TO BE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

I DON'T REALLY CARE IF THEY ARE THE FACTORY ONES AND IF I CAN GO BUY SOMETHING THAT WILL WORK AT WAL MART I WILL BE HAPPY.

THE OTHER PART TO THAT QUESTION IS THE 6 VOLT 12 VOLT DIFFERENCE. I WAS ASSUMING THAT MY WIRING SYSTEM WAS 12 VOLT DUE TO THE BATTERIES AND THE WAY THEY ARE WIRED UP. THE D4 BATTERIES THAT WERE ON IT WERE WIRED SO THAT IT LOOKED LIKE A 12 VOLT SYSTEM, BUT I HAVE SEEN ON HERE ABOUT 6 VOLT SYSTEMS.

HONESTLY, I AM LOST AND NEED ANY RESPONSES I CAN. IF YOU ANYONE CAN OFFER ANY HELP PLEASE EMAIL ME AND TELL ME WHAT TO LOOK FOR BATTERY WISE AND IF MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN REWIRED FOR 12 VOLT.

THANKS AND HAVE A GOOD NIGHT, MARCEL EMAIL:MARCEL80@NETZERO.NET

All of the B diesels would have been 12 volt, sometimes 2 6volt batts were wired in series to give 12V this setup would have had 4 batteries. 2 900 CCA or more 12 volt bateries will do you fine, try for group 31's.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

Good advice there from Truxnut. Most diesel B's I know of were 12 volt positive ground running and 24 volt starting. You do have a series paralell switch under the buddy seat don't you? Your best bet is to pickup an older Motor's Repair Manual for trucks from the sixties or early seventies which'll give you some good wiring schematics on the wiring spagetti your truck probably has. Watch Ebay where they go cheap enough. Make sure that if you use 4 six volt batteries that they're all good because one or two bad ones can screw up the circuit breakers in your series paralell switch. What that switch does is normally each pair of six volt batteries in series putting out 12 volts, are connected paralell (in the series paralell switch) to put out 12 volts and run the electrical system and are charged that way. When you push the starter button, the solenoid engages the series paralell switch to connect each 12 volt pair in series instead of paralell to put out 24 volts to the starter. That's that heavy clunk you hear under the seat when you start your truck if it's working right. Good luck, Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. I DONE INVESTIGATING INTO WHAT YOU BOTH SAID. 2 900 CC BATTERIES IS EXACTLY WHAT THE LOCAL BIG TRUCK BATTERY PLACE SAID. SO THAT IS WHAT I AM GOING TO END UP GETTING.

ON THIS SWITCH. MY TRUCK ONLY HAS ONE SEAT IN IT BECAUSE I THINK IT WAS A ONE MAN DUMP TRUCK OR A MIXER TRUCK.

TITLE SAYS B-61SX ??

I AM A VIRGIN B OWNER SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE "SX" STANDS FOR BUT THE CAB IS CONCAVED IN THE BACK AND IT IS A TWIN SCREW SO THAT WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A HEAVY HAULER WHATEVER IT WAS USED FOR.

THE CONVERTER SWITCH MUST HAVE BEEN HID OR SOMETHING CAUSE I CAN'T FIND ONE, LOL LOL

THE ONLY SEAT IS THE DRIVERS SEAT AND THERE IS NOTHING UNDER IT.

MY WITCH HUNT WILL CONTINUE FOR NEW AND EXCITING PROBLEMS.

ONCE I GET IT IN THE YARD EXPECT THE BOARD TO BE LIT UP WITH QUESTIONS. THIS SITE IS NOW CONSIDERED SITE #1 FOR ME DUE TO THE MACK BEING A UNICORN AROUND HERE.

APPARENTLY PENNSYLVANIA IS THE HOT BED FOR THESE TRUCKS. I HAVE SEEN MORE POSTS FROM THERE WITH TRUCKS AND PARTS FOR THEM THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS AND EXPECT TO SEE MORE QUESTIONS IN THE SHORT FUTURE.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I JUST BOUGHT AN 86' MIDLINER WITH FAIRLY DECENT MILES AND A RENAULT TURBO DIESEL.

I AM GOING OVER TO POST A QUESTION ABOUT THE AIROVER HYDRO BRAKES I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH. TAKE A LOOK ! !

HERE ARE THE PREFIXES COPIED FROM OLDMACKSRUS.COM http://www.oldmacksrus.com/production_numbers.htm

S = SIX WHEELER

X = EXTREAM SERVICE

TRENT

B - school bus chassis

C - flat face cowl for the addition of a delivery body

E - built for export

F - fire truck chassis

L - light weight or weight reduced by using aluminum components

P - platform chassis (single axle straight truck)

R - right hand drive. This designation was started in 1964 but right hand drive available

prior as option.

S - six wheel chassis (tandem axle)

T - tractor chassis

X - severe or extreme service chassis

Combine any of the basic letters to get a different chassis

PC - flat face cowl platform chassis

LST - light weight six wheel tractor chassis

SX - six wheel extreme service chassis

STE - six wheel tractor chassis for export

RX - right hand drive extreme service chassis

These are some odd versions

BD - school bus - no idea what the D means. Little more than 100 built 1955-1956

EWX - don’t have a clue on the letters but the picture shows a mean looking B83

built in 1965 with 3 drive axles

SX-C - six wheel extreme service chassis, may have been built in Canada

SX-M - six wheel extreme service chassis, no idea what M stands for

T-HS - tractor, don’t know about HS

T-M - tractor, don’t know about M

TPB - tractor piggy back

Now the fire truck combinations! The good guys at the Mack Museum and Harvey

Eckart had to do some “head scratchin” on these

CF - fire truck with Chrysler Corp. drive train

FA - aerial ladder fire truck

FC - fire truck chassis without fire body. This designation started in 1965

FCD - fire truck chassis with diesel engine without fire body

FD - fire truck with diesel engine. This designation started in 1964

FMD - don’t have a clue. Only built in 1963

FSW - six wheel (tandem axle) fire truck. This designation started in 1958 for fire trucks

but had been used in trucks prior to the B model series.

FT - fire truck tractor. This designation started in 1965 but fire truck tractors were also

built before this date.

HERE ARE THE PREFIXES COPIED FROM OLDMACKSRUS.COM http://www.oldmacksrus.com/production_numbers.htm

Now the fire truck combinations! The good guys at the Mack Museum and Harvey

Eckart had to do some “head scratchin” on these

CF - fire truck with Chrysler Corp. drive train

FA - aerial ladder fire truck

FC - fire truck chassis without fire body. This designation started in 1965

FCD - fire truck chassis with diesel engine without fire body

FD - fire truck with diesel engine. This designation started in 1964

FMD - don’t have a clue. Only built in 1963

FSW - six wheel (tandem axle) fire truck. This designation started in 1958 for fire trucks

but had been used in trucks prior to the B model series.

FT - fire truck tractor. This designation started in 1965 but fire truck tractors were also

built before this date.

Trent,

Do you have any idea of what the S would stand for on my S75 pumper?

It does have six wheels but that includes the front axel. I have always thought the S stood for "service"

but since reading your post I now have no idea.

DW

1948 Mack Pumper