Value Of A 58 Mack Firetruck?

moriver

We recieved the donation of a 58 Mack for our department to replace a 55 chevy. Quite an upgrade! The bad news was that the pump was bad so we sold it to recover the shipping costs. Now I am being asked to sell it again for the "third owner" and would like some pointers on determining it's value. The truck looks great. Has some minor surface rust on some chrome. Any suggestions on where to start or how to market it would be apprecitated. Thanks!

We recieved the donation of a 58 Mack for our department to replace a 55 chevy. Quite an upgrade! The bad news was that the pump was bad so we sold it to recover the shipping costs. Now I am being asked to sell it again for the "third owner" and would like some pointers on determining it's value. The truck looks great. Has some minor surface rust on some chrome. Any suggestions on where to start or how to market it would be apprecitated. Thanks!

I'd be interested in purchasing it. Do you have pictures? Was the pump repaired or does it still have a problem?

Character is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Kenny Lane

I'd be interested in purchasing it. Do you have pictures? Was the pump repaired or does it still have a problem?

We had an estimate of 3-4k for pump repair and $700 for valve repair. The pump is stuck on the volume side if I remember correctly. We could have used it, but it would not have tested out and could not have been insured in that condition. I have pictures , but it may take a few days for me to get them ready.

Can you forward pictures and any information to mack458@verizon.net.

Many thanks, Mark

MoRiver,

I did some research before we bought back our B75 Mack Pumper. Tracking down about 10 B model firetrucks that had sold in the previous year, the high was $12,000 the low was $1000, the median was $5000. Discounting for rust and pump repairs, I would estimate your truck should be valued between $3500-$4500. From the pictures I can see the truck has some rust repair needed as well as rechroming as it must of been outside and see that the interior gauges also have some rust and are weathered.

We have had 3 models sell nearby in the last year, a 1958 closed cab like the one you have sold for $5000 this past month, an open cab that had been outside for a few years sold for about $5000, and a another open cab parade winner with lots of options and all the gear still on the truck including boots, coats, helmets etc, sold for $15000- it had no rust and had never been outside.

I hope that helps- see if we have any other feedback from others on the site that may have seen other B model firetrucks sold in their area.

Firemack

MoRiver,

I did some research before we bought back our B75 Mack Pumper. Tracking down about 10 B model firetrucks that had sold in the previous year, the high was $12,000 the low was $1000, the median was $5000. Discounting for rust and pump repairs, I would estimate your truck should be valued between $3500-$4500. From the pictures I can see the truck has some rust repair needed as well as rechroming as it must of been outside and see that the interior gauges also have some rust and are weathered.

We have had 3 models sell nearby in the last year, a 1958 closed cab like the one you have sold for $5000 this past month, an open cab that had been outside for a few years sold for about $5000, and a another open cab parade winner with lots of options and all the gear still on the truck including boots, coats, helmets etc, sold for $15000- it had no rust and had never been outside.

I hope that helps- see if we have any other feedback from others on the site that may have seen other B model firetrucks sold in their area.

Firemack

Thank You. I have it listed on Craigslist in St. Louis Missouri for 4775, but the owner will consider offers. I appreciate your advice. Is there a location on this site where "for sale" trucks are listed? I couldn't find one. I can be emailed if someone is interested at dougselby@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...

I have to admit I've entertained the idea of purchasing that truck numerous times but there is a reason I have not and it has nothing to do with "Momma". From the participation on this site, I see there are several persons that like/collect the fire apparatus' that Mack produced. I cannot bring myself to "break apart" something someone else may have an interest in enjoying as is. This comes from the collector/restorer in me. If I had it the cab would go onto another truck I'm working with, and the fire apparatus parts would be donated to another entity that would use them.

This truck appears to be worth the money and is too nice in it's present condition to serve my purposes.

I hope the party that purchases the unit does it justice.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

Fenton Fire Equipment has a web page with a section for antique fire equipment.