Robson Drive System In Action!

ThaddeusW

Well I came across this great video and thought I would share it. This video shows a Finnish made SISU truck that's an 8x2 (only one drive axle) handle soft dirt with no problems. Its a newer Renault DXi 13 (AKA Volvo D13, MP8). Not too long ago this truck would have been Mack powered (E7)! They still use CAT engines and also at one point also used Cummins too. Yes that is a Renault Premium cab. Another interesting fact is SISU delivers factory ready trucks complete with bodies installed. They use an 18 inch frame rail so the dump box does not need a sub frame, the box sits right on the frame rails. They taper down toward the front of the cab to normal height and use cylindrical cross members. Normal frames and bare cab-chassis available too.

Its a tri axle arrangement with a single tire steering lift axle in front, planetary hub reduction drive(SISU axle), and a dual tire lifting axle at the rear. In between the drive and rear lift axle, a special cog drive system is installed called the Robson drive system. When engaged cylinders shove a cog wheel between the drive tire and rear most lift axle tire (on both sides) to create a temporary yet simple 6x4 system (like an old belt drive tag). Result: A dump truck that can handle a heavy load yet lift the two of the four axles when empty. From the comments the poster also says the two lift axles steer, the first linked to the steering wheel and the last is maybe self steered? SISU is also the only truck maker to develop a lifting tandem drive axle system. You can lift the rear most drive axle and then de-clutch it. That axle setup is whats called the Fin-bogie. Still want to see how one works. Cool eh?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

GHG:

Volvo doesn't directly own SISU but after they partnered with Renault before the takeover they formed a very tight relationship. SISU became Finland's Renault dealer network and SISU got access to Mack engines and Renault cabs (they even shipped with Fuller gearboxes too). But I believe Volvo does have part ownership that was inherited from Renault. Since the Volvo takeover, Mack engines were replaced by Renault DXi engines which as we know are nothing more than Volvo engines. I recently herd of a SISU mixer that was equiped with Renault hub reduction axles and a Volvo Gear box. Maybe SISU is the next brand to fall prey to Volvo. Shame really, they were in a way like Mack, building super tough trucks for the vocational market.

You speak Canadian too,eh?

LOL

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

:mack1: hello thaddeusw i was last week at the sisu factory in karjaa finland the have a agreement whit renault for a long time i brought some brochures whit me and on the back it says sisu&renault trucks no word about volvo it was not possible to make a tour.they make a lot of trucks and equipment for the army thats why we couldnt see the plant its in the middle of the village and its a very old factory whit a lot of old buildings around but you see them everywhere in finland.they built a complete truck for the forrestry and tippers and whit cranes on it.the dxi 13 has 460 and 500 hp and the cat c 15 engines has 520 550 and 625 hp.i believe that renault has a percetage shares and for the rest its independet.and very nice poeple to talk whit.greetings rene :mack1: