Bering Trucks

anteek

I have a chance to buy a 2000 bering with a 23k rating that has a dualtech roll back body.It has 147k,but the trans and rear both have problems. I can buy it right but will it be a money pit? What automatic do they use? what cummins is it? Anyone have real world experience usiing them?

I have a chance to buy a 2000 bering with a 23k rating that has a dualtech roll back body.It has 147k,but the trans and rear both have problems. I can buy it right but will it be a money pit? What automatic do they use? what cummins is it? Anyone have real world experience usiing them?

I've only physically seen a single Bering truck in my lifetime and that was twice. When I ran the wrecker service out of my auto body shop I was called to a bad accident with fatalities and four vehicles involved. I was loading up a car and a light truck, this Bering truck was loading up the other two. I spoke with the driver cause I'd never seen that type of truck before and he stated he'd bought it cheap out east someplace. I think it had a MAN diesel engine but I'm not sure but I do know it was not a Cummins. I seen this same truck, (minus the rollback bed) in a scrapyard about six months later, and my thought was that it must have not been a very good truck.

On another call I once again ran into the same driver with a new Chevrolet rollback and I asked him about the truck. He said that it was not dependable and almost impossible to get parts for the engine. He traded it in at a wrecker dealer with an engine noise who broke it apart, scrapped the chassis, and built another wrecker with the bed.

This was in the Peoria, IL area about the 2002 timeframe. It could be different in your area but I've not seen another truck around like that one so they must not of "caught on" so to speak.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi,

The Bering company was an American company who purchased partially finished Hyundai cab-chassis and fitted them with Cat/Cummins engines and Fuller or Allison transmissions. They went out of business in 2001 because Hyundai terminated the Bering contract in order to secure a more lucrative contract with Daimler-Chrysler. The cab chassis is mostly Hyundai so finding parts might be a big problem.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I work right down the street from the plant where they were built in Front Royal, VA and I have to admit I know almost nothing about Bering or the trucks they built...

There are still quite a few running around locally, most if not the majority of them are mixers.