Jump to content


Big Dog
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Posts posted by mattb73lt

  1. On 3/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, Freightrain said:

    When I bought my B, the rear mount area was weak.  The PO had run a piece of angle iron across and just let the cab sit on it.  Ya, you could wiggle the cab around.  I cut the rear cab patch off and welded new pieces across tying it into the rear of the cab structure.  Wow, the cab is rock solid.  Not quite as purdy as your repair, but functional!

    I lucked out with my B-42. It was owned by a tree company and was mostly used in the summer months and garage kept. It had a shag carpet covering the floor that was soaked in chainsaw oil. The floor and cab back were like factory new, with a sheen of oil on the factory paint. It also had less than 100K on it. It was a really easy clean up and repaint after I converted it to diesel. The B-73, not so much, used hard and then abandoned outside. That definitely took its toll. I had thoughts of getting it on the road, but I think that would have destroyed what I did have. This will be like new if I can keep going and get it done.

    • Like 1

  2. On 3/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, mrsmackpaul said:


    That's one heck of a job your doing 

    Im not sure I am brave enough to get this far into a cab 


    Great stuff and thanks for sharing it with us



    Thanks, it's been a lot of work, so far. Looking at using Lizard Skin, like you mentioned for soundproofing. Under the cab, inner doors, roof, cab back wall and firewall. Pretty much everywhere that won't get standard paint.

  3. 13 hours ago, j hancock said:

    Absolutely Outstanding Matt!  You are making some good progress.

    As a super triple check on the door fitment and operation, verify the dovetails on the door and jamb and the door seal retaining strip with a new seal in place.  Much easier to make an adjustment while still in primer. 

    Ask me why I know....

    You mentioned you were having some issues with your cab, after getting it back from the shop that did the work. What did you do with the door seals and the metal retainer that holds them in place? Mine are not usable and I was thinking about using a self adhesive strip to seal the door. I'll be doing a lot of assembly/disassembly as I go before making things permanent to make sure it all fits.

  4. 10 minutes ago, j hancock said:

    Lots of puzzle pieces but it sure looks like it is going to be better than new!!

    I'm very optimistic about this. Alignment seems good and I keep using the old pieces to check. It'll all come apart again for finish work and heavy priming. I still have to attend to some issues with the lower A pillars.

  5. 6 hours ago, Vladislav said:

    Wow!! Looks much more exciting now!

    I'm sure you know what you do by my fingers will be kept crossed. What is the plan for that big 3" U-channel at the bottom of the back wall? Are you going to make a new one? Right at the moment I'm waiting for such part from fabrication but that one will be a straight piece. Hope to get it in the shape by cutting-welding-grinding. My new sills (or rockers?) are also in that order. At least I hope the shop folks will be able to bend what I have drawn :)

    I had another fabricated locally from a donor I picked up and cut apart for a pattern. Mine was too far gone and broken from the accident. The fabricator did a great job, considering how complex it actually is.




    • Like 1

  6. On 2/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, h67st said:

    You've got that thing torn apart!! My H67 cab didn't look too bad until I had it blasted and all the bondo was blown out of the rust holes...then it looked a lot like yours.

    Luckily no surprises when I got it back from the blaster. The areas that were slated for replacement opened up a little more, but the rest was solid. And no real bondo, several layers of paint was about it. Now to start putting it back together so it doesn't look like a rolling jigsaw puzzle when I'm done.

  • Create New...