•  

• Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com

Welcome to BigMackTrucks.com, the best resource on the Internet for Antique, Classic and Modern Mack Trucks!  

Please login or register to take advantage of everything BMT has to offer.  Memberships are Free and offer many benefits:

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
    • Showcase your trucks in our Garage
    • Photo Gallery, Member Blogs and much more...
    • Add events to our community calendar
    • Create your own profile and make new friends
    • Customize your experience!
    • Mack Dealer and Corporate personnel can contact the ADMIN after registration for access to the Dealer Forums.

If you are having trouble logging in or haven't received your validation email, you can post as a guest in the Guest Forum.

login  register
    Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Engine Oil Change

• Please log in to reply
    4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Green

John Green

Rookie

• Puppy Poster
    • Pip
    • 3 posts
    • Make:Mack
    • Model:B61 tractor
    • Year:1959

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

I recently changed oil in my B61T with a 673 engine my problem is that I have very little oil pressure since I changed oil I also changed the filter canister in the lubrifiner do I have to put oil into the lubrifiner also my manuals list a oil capasity for the engine and also capasity for the lubrifiner I know I;m missing something
    any info would be appreciated.

Thanks JohnBoy :SMOKIE-LFT:

#2 OFFLINE   CML Service

CML Service

BMT Veteran VIP

• Big Dog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 151 posts
    • Make:MACK
    • Model:B , R , DM ,U ,CH
    • Year:1954 - 1995

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:33 AM

John
    The oil capacity for the engine and the filter need to be added together. If you remove the plug from the top of the filter housing you can prefill the filter somewhat. Depending on how much you get into the filter if there is only a few quarts left to it's capacity you could put it in the engine. Once the engine and filter have oil in them start the engine and let it idle. Loosen the plug on the filter and let the air out. Once air is out shut down engine and recheck oil level. That is how I was shown to do it if I'm wrong someone correct me. But I been taking care of my trucks that way.
    Chuck
    • 39 Baby Mack likes this

#3 OFFLINE   EmpireStateDog

EmpireStateDog

Truck Nut

• Puppy Poster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 48 posts
    • Model:R-400 Tandem
    • Year:1967

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:22 AM

John Boy, If your oil pressure was good before the oil change and now drops off make sure you have the correct filter. I once had a "bypass and full flow" filter problem in our shop and it turned out that some filters look identical but do not work the same. Just a thought for your problem
    E.S.D. :thumb:

#4 OFFLINE   kevin mccune

kevin mccune

Old Iron Expert

• Porch Pup
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 74 posts
    • Make:mack
    • Model:rd685s
    • Year:1984

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

I recently changed oil in my B61T with a 673 engine my problem is that I have very little oil pressure since I changed oil I also changed the filter canister in the lubrifiner do I have to put oil into the lubrifiner also my manuals list a oil capasity for the engine and also capasity for the lubrifiner I know I;m missing something
    any info would be appreciated.

Thanks JohnBoy :SMOKIE-LFT:

To start with a centrifugal filter is a wonderful thing-never had no touble just make sure they are turned the right way-oil and air seem to to be somewhat mischible so you dont have to worry about bleeding the filter in my opinion anyway.I never bled one- but I always generally serviced Maxidynes,I usually put 32 qts of oil in a standard 300 with centifugal filter and 2 oil filters- Right in the ballpark usually on the other hand the tip turbine engine out of the F-model holds 15 gals + 3 oil filters, no luberefiner-I dont believe the centrifugal filter would affect the oil pressure on the newer engines it seems to just get some bypass oil anyway- Kevin

#5 OFFLINE   Freightrain

Freightrain

Gear jam'n fool

• Pedigreed Bulldog
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 3,088 posts
    • Model:B61
    • Year:59

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

I usually put 3 gal in the filter housing and 3 in the pan. Been that way for 5 yrs now. I tried "bleeding" the filter once to see if that made any difference in start up. Not really. Mine usually takes about 7-10 secs to read any oil pressure on intial start up(after a weeks time).

You should have 60 cold idle, around 20 hot idle, and 50-60 running down the road.
    Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Posted Image

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users