Anyone In Illinois Hire 18 Year Olds With Class A?

Double L

I'm getting ready to go to trucking school either in September or October and was wondering if anyone of you knew of anyone who hired an 19 year old to drive a truck? I know it's a long shot and I tried down here and companies who I thought would hire me told me I need to have experience or be over 21. All I have now is the CDL class A permit with double/triples, tankers, and air brakes. I may when I go retake my test next month drop my double/triple but keep the tanker.

The endorsements are just a "simple" 20 questions each. Get 16 of 20 and you pass. I didn't even study for doubles/haz mat and only missed each by ONE question. Didn't need either, but doesn't cost extra to take test. Did get the tanker.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The endorsements are just a "simple" 20 questions each. Get 16 of 20 and you pass. I didn't even study for doubles/haz mat and only missed each by ONE question. Didn't need either, but doesn't cost extra to take test. Did get the tanker.

I already have the permit but it's due to be retaken next month. I didn't study for any of them, it's pretty much common sense. My main goal is to find someone to hire me even though I'm 19 (next month) and have no "driving" experience.

Are you referring to your temps, not your actual license? You should be able to add the extras(tank, doubles, hazmat) even after you take your actual road test, but before you get your printed license.

As for driving jobs, likely won't get much help from anyone now. With no experience and with the HUGE pool of drivers finding an opening is slim. You'll have to start out with the low name companies and get your 1-2 yrs in so you can find a better place. Unless you know someone that will mentor you in a small company? Usually the insurance companies will restrict driving for newbies. You'll be stuck intrastate til your 21 anyhow.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Are you referring to your temps, not your actual license? You should be able to add the extras(tank, doubles, hazmat) even after you take your actual road test, but before you get your printed license.

As for driving jobs, likely won't get much help from anyone now. With no experience and with the HUGE pool of drivers finding an opening is slim. You'll have to start out with the low name companies and get your 1-2 yrs in so you can find a better place. Unless you know someone that will mentor you in a small company? Usually the insurance companies will restrict driving for newbies. You'll be stuck intrastate til your 21 anyhow.

I don't mind running instate, I prefer to actually. I can't get hazmat because I'm not 21, otherwise I would have got hazmat. I don't plan on pulling double/triples. Yeah it's the temp license, it's only good for a year. I know I won't get much help cause I got my age, lack of experience, and insurance companies against me.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting ready to go to trucking school either in September or October and was wondering if anyone of you knew of anyone who hired an 19 year old to drive a truck? I know it's a long shot and I tried down here and companies who I thought would hire me told me I need to have experience or be over 21. All I have now is the CDL class A permit with double/triples, tankers, and air brakes. I may when I go retake my test next month drop my double/triple but keep the tanker.

Your NJATC will hire a 19yo, CDL, Class A as a "Electrical Lineman Apprentice", even if it's just the permit.

NJATC - http://www.njatc.org/

I think school bus companies might hire you if you have a CDL for experinance

Got to be 21 to drive school bus and companies want experience with Class A, Class B won't count for squat. I'm not giving up at all!

Got to be 21 to drive school bus and companies want experience with Class A, Class B won't count for squat. I'm not giving up at all!

Thank you for the reply and info,

I have just learned something new