Heavier Front Axle For B61

I checked the wiki and it appears 16,000 was the max for the b61. i would like to have at least an 18,000. I measured against my rd and cl and they are too wide will an axle from a b81 fit ( maybee with some drilling for the different spring spacing i don't know). I don't think getting springs that will handle the weight ( around 20k) should be too hard. Perhaps i'am worrying about nothing heck the thing is 46 yrs old and hasn't broken yet, but that axle sure looks thin when i park my rd (with 18k front axle) next to it.

I checked the wiki and it appears 16,000 was the max for the b61. i would like to have at least an 18,000. I measured against my rd and cl and they are too wide will an axle from a b81 fit ( maybee with some drilling for the different spring spacing i don't know). I don't think getting springs that will handle the weight ( around 20k) should be too hard. Perhaps i'am worrying about nothing heck the thing is 46 yrs old and hasn't broken yet, but that axle sure looks thin when i park my rd (with 18k front axle) next to it.

What axle is in it now, the FA522 or the FA601?

If it's got the 601, that's the same thing as the "B81" front axle.

Never seen one of those break, even in the "old days" when we overloaded the sh*t out of 'em.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks fo your quick reply. I only have a fa522( other # 1qha4143cp17 ) in the truck now. I suppose i was asking if the fa601 will handle the weight or if there is something better ( if i'am going to have to upgrade anyway). The "b81 axle" i was referring to is the one that looks pretty beefy and has an upside down arch sort of shape to it. I never looked at the numbers on one. is that what the 601 looks like?

I suppose you could upgrade to something newer, but if the intent is to keep a "stock" appearance, I'd recommend swapping in a FA601.

Here's a photo of a B61 with the FA601 axle:

1274019420065739904S500x500Q85.jpg

(Incidentally, the truck pictured above is owned by a good friend of mine who is also a member of this forum, "B Model Chet.)

My former B61 with the FA522 axle:

gallery_261_46_102889.jpeg

My former B81with FA 600 series front axle:

gallery_261_46_6978.jpeg

Thanks again and photos are great. is the difference between a fa601 and a fa600 just the drilling for different spring spacing or is there more to it? The reason i ask is that axle seems to be much more common on the 81( i may even know where i can get one ,although i'am afraid it may have been scrapped).

I haven't made up my mind about how stock i want to keep the truck. my problem is that the truck is jersey specd ( for 70,000) and weighs 4000 more than my 227" wheelbase rd triaxle; However,i live in Pa and am limited to 58,000 in a ten wheeler which leaves me with a pathetic 9 ton payload. Here is my dilemma i need the truck to work as well as look good. It shouldn't be that hard to move the trunion back to give me a 227" wheelbase and i could have another 17.5 ft. bodied triaxle, but then i would be destroying the classic look of the truck and great offroad abilities of the ten wheeler. I would really like to just keep it as it is but it kind of burns me up to be paying registration ($1251) for 73,280 anyway ( because of the tag trailer with the 955 on it) and only be able to legally put nine tons in it when i'am using it as just a dump truck. I've got the whole thing stripped to the bare cab and am doing the body work so i better make my mind up soon. I'll try and figure out how toget some pictures up here. Thanks again

Thanks again and photos are great. is the difference between a fa601 and a fa600 just the drilling for different spring spacing or is there more to it? The reason i ask is that axle seems to be much more common on the 81( i may even know where i can get one ,although i'am afraid it may have been scrapped).

I never actually took any measurements to compare the spring spacing and U bolt locations of the B61 vs the B81, so you'd have to check on that if you find an axle from a B81.

Another good feature of the FA 600 front axles is that the tie rod ends sit on top of the steering knuckle arms instead of underneath like on the FA 522.

That keeps the tie rod up higher where it's less likely to get damaged when backing thru soft material where you're dragging the axles.

Also, I recall that the tie rod ends lasted a lot longer on the FA 600/601 than on the FA522.