237 Maxidyne Valve Adjustment Procedure

Cool site

The town that I work for has an ex fire tanker converted to a tri axle. It's a 1970 r685st with a 237. The truck only has roughly 40000 miles on it. But for the first thirty years of the trucks life it has routeenly been run at high rpm's to pump.

I would like to adjust the valves but we do not have the engine service manual for the procedure. I found tdc in the flywheel but did not see any other marks unlike newer e7's. Any help would be great.

turn the engine to were # 6 intake valve just starts to open and # 1 cly is ready to set intake and exhaust. now turn engine to when # 2 intake opens and # 5 is ready to set. Turn to when #4 is opening and 3 is ready to set. Turn to # 1 intake just starts to open and 6 is readt to set. When # 5 is opening # 2 is ready and when 3 intake starts to open then # 4 is ready to set. You are setting them in the fireing order which is 153624. and you what the mating cylinder vale over lap and the mate is readt to set. # 1 is mate to 6 and 2 and 5 is mating and 3 and 4 is mating. Dont worry about the TDC mark. the valve clearance is on the valve cover.

glenn akers

Hello to whoever you are

Why don't guys end a post with their name ?? What don't you have one?

Beat's me but I think this makes for a more personal group

Anyway Here's how

Firing order

153 624

First off get no 1 on tdc compression stroke this can be seen when no 6 is rocking (ex just closing inlet about to open ) set no 1

Rotate engine till no 2 in rocking set no 5 then when 4 is rocking set no 3 then 1 rocking set 6 and so on see how it goes

Divide the fireing order in half work on one set the other

this can be done with any engine

Divide the firing order in half and like I said get one rocking and set the corresponding cylinder

Oh and if it has dynatard on it be sure to push down on the tappet to close the oil gap on the exhaust Hope this helps

Steve

Edited by mackkid