Need Engine Id In This '63 B75

I have a 1963 B75 that was purchased from OLDMACK.COM and can't identify the engine that is in it. The only thing that I know about the engine is it's supposed to be a rebuilt Mack 300. The data plate on the side of the block is covered in heavy paint and we are trying to get it off but not sure if we will be able to read it.

Can anyone ID this motor by these pictures on my photobucket?

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/c...?albumview=grid

Thanks,

James

James,

The data plate is the best way to confirm the engine model, obviously.

But - if I were to guess, I think that is an ETZ-675 of some ilk.

It could very well be a 300 hp engine, or a 285 hp. Either way,

it is a tip-turbine intercooled intake system. And judging by the

rocker covers, it is two valve engine.

A good Mack motor authority might find this opinion all wrong -

so I would try the data plate again. There are also some imprinted

numbers on the casting ahead of the fuel pump, I think, that will bear this out.

If we can get Rob engaged here, we will get an answer quickly.

Paul Van Scott

Paul,

The numbers that I can find stamped into the engine block are between the fuel pump and the firewall and the larger set of numbers reads 239 GB 5354 The smaller numbers above those are ORDER 1-5-3-6-2-4

The main reason I need to know the model of engine at the moment is to find the approximate air intake of the engine and the inter-cooler to properly fit it with air filters.

Thanks,

James

Edited by James B

It's a "later" model 285 (called a 300) or a 315, or possibly even an E6 350 2 valve, as evidenced by the 2 stage (water and air) intercooler.

It doesn't have a Jake brake, and I also don't see any electrical terminals on the valve covers, so no Dynatard.

American Bosch injection pump.

Regarding air filters, that engine would have originally been equipped with a double element (1 element for engine intake air and 1 element for intercooler air) Donaldson air cleaner, or a single element air filter for engine air only, and a separate underhood air filter for intercooler air, with an air scoop on the hood.

Neither of those filter setups were OEM on a B model, so you're going to have to adapt something and make it work.

I would recommend looking at Matt Pfahl's B61 photos in the "bmodelsrus" gallery.

He has that type of engine in a B model and has an air cleaner on each side of the cab - one for intake air and one for intercooler air.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks for the info, one of the ideas that my buddy has is to get rid of the air cleaners on the outside of the cab and mount something on the inside of the engine compartment to give a more streamlined look. Now I have to figure out how many CFM's this engine and intercooler would have to have so I don't choke it regardless if we hide the filters or keep them mounted on the outside because the Donaldson filters that came in the parts box for the truck are too tall to mount to the side of the truck and still work because the bottom of the filter hits the fender.

Thanks for the info, one of the ideas that my buddy has is to get rid of the air cleaners on the outside of the cab and mount something on the inside of the engine compartment to give a more streamlined look. Now I have to figure out how many CFM's this engine and intercooler would have to have so I don't choke it regardless if we hide the filters or keep them mounted on the outside because the Donaldson filters that came in the parts box for the truck are too tall to mount to the side of the truck and still work because the bottom of the filter hits the fender.

You need cool air for the intercooler, so underhood air just ain't gonna cut it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

You need cool air for the intercooler, so underhood air just ain't gonna cut it.

Yes I understand that, I was thinking of funneling air to the hidden air filters from an outside source like my cummins in my dodge. But my primary concern is the CFM's of the engine so I don't starve it.

Does anyone know how many CFM's the old oil bath air filters can handle?

Thanks

Edited by James B

I didn't feel that the original oil bath was enough for my B61 with the endt675. (237) So I got a 4" K&N filter thats like 1600 cfm. Haven't driven it yet but I think it will work good. Just used some 3" PVC pipe fittings and mounted it under hood. Drilled the piping for the air compressor too.

I would have liked to get air from outside for my intake but wasn't feasable underhood easily. Maybe put Air intake under hood like my setup and hook the intercooler to the orig oil bath. Never studied a tip turbine so I don't know it it will work.

Bob

I have a 1963 B75 that was purchased from OLDMACK.COM and can't identify the engine that is in it. The only thing that I know about the engine is it's supposed to be a rebuilt Mack 300. The data plate on the side of the block is covered in heavy paint and we are trying to get it off but not sure if we will be able to read it.

Can anyone ID this motor by these pictures on my photobucket?

http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/c...?albumview=grid

Thanks,

James

James, the #'s you have in your photos are the block cast #'s. The engine # stamped on the block should be at the very front of the block below that compressor, on the top edge of the timing gears caseing. Early COE engines had the # stamped across the back of the block just below the head although I think that by the time the Coolpowers came out all #'s were at the front. Other than that you will have to get the #'s from the emissions plate, on the block behind the fuel pump or the #'s on the fuel pump could translate to the correct engine. Hope this helps , Regards jeffro.