[New BMT Blog Entry] mackdaddy1911a1's Blog - I Made A Little Money Last Week

WattsMack

Well for the time being I have a little money in my pocket. Last week I ran two loads up to the northeast back to back out of Chattanooga Tn. The first load was a two dropper with the first stop going to Jersey City N.J. and the final in North Haven CT.

The second load was a straight load and went to North Haven CT. .Both loads consisted of conveyors and hoppers for a scrap yard. If I didn't have to pay those damned tolls life would be good. Paying thirty or fourty bucks to cross a bridge is :icon_bs: . Question.. to all you folks who live in the toll ridden parts of the country.. Why don't you guys simply vote the idiots in charge out of office. Or you could always drown them in piss...something.

I only go to the Northeast when the loads pay realy good, no cheap freight will ever get moved by my truck to that part of the world. What am I saying NO CHEAP FREIGHT PERIOD. I may never be rich doing it this way but as long as the bills are paid I cann't see why I would want to work more for less. Doesn't make any sense to me. They say (The trucking insiders)

that the trucking industry is a penny buisness...I agree to a certain point. I believe a penny saved is a penny earned, so I don't idle the truck, do most of the work to the truck myself and wash it myself. However why would I want to work more for less?????? My Dad told me when I was a kid and was always in a hurry... to slow down and to work smarter not harder. Haste makes waste, grabbing the first load that is offered with out looking around for better paying freight is not working smarter. There may not be anything else to be had, but if there is I want the better paying freight. I can turn plenty of miles but would rather be at home chasing the new girlfriend around or working in the yard or tinkering on the truck. Sometimes I

sit at a truckstop for days waiting on a descent load...but do I realy just sit? No I will be cleaning and polishing and greasing and tuning on the truck....always busy. I make down time and lay over time work for me by doing things I would have to do when I got home anyway. So the time is not wasted... in this case Waste can make Haste...If I didn't stay busy on the road I would have to rush when I did get home and that wouldn't leave time to just hang out.

Back in 05 and 06 I had a dedicated run where I had nearly 0 deadhead miles and the money was rolling in. I bought the Mack in 06 and decided to pay it off as fast as possible. Thank God I did.. at the end of 06 the bottom fell out and the freight slowed down big time. Even so I was far enough ahead on the truck payments that I still paid the truck off a year early. At 12% interest I probably saved thousands by doing it that way. Like I said before work smarter not harder..I made my money work for me versus blowing it on crap I didn't need anyway. Well that's not totally true...the soon to be X got a pile of it...oh well.

May the 12th will be three years to the day that I bought the Bulldog so to my truck I say Happy Anniversary. And to everyone else Keep on Trucking.

Matt

Attached thumbnail(s)

blogentry-2321-1241616370_thumb.jpg

//

blogentry-2321-1241616453_thumb.jpg

//

blogentry-2321-1241616535_thumb.jpg

//

View the full blog entry

Sounds like you got it all figurd out on the downtme deal. A buddy of mine drove for a guy here in town pullin a fla bed and even though he didn't own the truck he wouldnt take a cheap load PERIOD.....He always told me thy could set there for all he cared, th other guy that worked with them got fired cause he would take any load anywhere period....

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

You pretty much hit it on the head mackdaddy. You and I think a lot alike when it comes to choosing freight. As far as the tolls go, you just gotta figure it into your expenses and make sure the load covers. Tonight I made a stop at the house for a few hours before I shove off to Long Island, NY. Dump & reload then back home on Friday. Most of the guys I work with don't go near NYC, but for the right money I'm goin'.