Maxidyne Engine And 5 Speed Gearbox Parts

huppypuppy

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a Mack R-600 "Flintstone" tow truck with a Maxidyne engine in it - I am just curious as to where I might be able to get engine parts, eg. engine rebuild kits, fuel system parts (injection pump and injectors or rebuild kits), transmission rebuild kits and radiator bits and pieces... any help here would be much appreciated!

I prefer to obtain the parts in Australia because the way things are with the financial crisis, it would cost more to buy from overseas - but if they were unobtainable here, I would be more inclined to grab them off Barry and the crew at Watts Mack!

Joe

Avid :mack1: nut

Almost the owner of a R-600 Mack!

Edited by Joe Hupp

Joe just kidding with the yellow pages. What are you after? Mack since Volvo have taken over and the 2 valve engines are well and truly

out of date have bugger all 2 valve stuff. I am saying that it is getting scarce as in nearly 30 years of owing macks i am surprised

when i go in for bits they are not as plentyfull as they always were. they have got to search around the dealers for some stuff

Last year i wanted a waterpump for my 2 valve short shaft ESI ect and they said they don't do em any more. Not even a kit

Lucky Gleemans had a few PAI pumps in stock. AS for Maxitouque 5 speed i seriousley doubt you can get many parts

as they became obsolete after the 70's. Mack trans were always extremley expensive to do up. Thats why a lot of people

Fitted roadrangers. You just got to ring around Mack Gleemans Hi Toque ect. Down here When the fellow that owned

South coast truck spares died they dumped 14 tons of Mack spares Quad boxes front axles every thing you could imagine.

I personly seen it in the bins . Was in his will that it was to be dumped and not for sale. true story. There is still a lot if stuff

around and you just have to search for it. Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Just after some ideas of where I might need to begin to look for the parts or kits mentioned above - I haven't got the truck yet because it is on a friend's property at the moment! I need somewhere close to town where I can send someone in for the stuff and are able to get the truck pulled apart and not have it everywhere!

The people who have it can help me lift the cab and bonnet off with their big Ekebol-bodied underlift tow truck because it can be used as a crane too!

Labour is the easiest part - I have a rellie who is a mechanic and he has contacts for all the repair work - fuel system is easy too as we have a good diesel shop in Dubbo - where I am - and the guys who run the shop are really good and knowledgeable!

Joe

Hi Mark,

Just after some ideas of where I might need to begin to look for the parts or kits mentioned above - I haven't got the truck yet because it is on a friend's property at the moment! I need somewhere close to town where I can send someone in for the stuff and are able to get the truck pulled apart and not have it everywhere!

The people who have it can help me lift the cab and bonnet off with their big Ekebol-bodied underlift tow truck because it can be used as a crane too!

Labour is the easiest part - I have a rellie who is a mechanic and he has contacts for all the repair work - fuel system is easy too as we have a good diesel shop in Dubbo - where I am - and the guys who run the shop are really good and knowledgeable!

Joe

Joe If thats the Mack in the photo it don't look too bad. If you are going to do a ground up restoration you realy need a shed.

Friends and Helpers are ok but.. will they keep comitted to the project. You got to be able to do as mutch of the work as possible

yourself. Hope you got a BIG toolbox. Shure you can do it, but how far do you want to go? How big is your wallet.

What is actually wrong with the truck? Like i said before early mack parts are around you just have to search around these days

Gleemans Don't keep a lot of early stuff any more as the demand is not there. Shure. they get the odd one in now and then.

Good luck with your project, Just keep your ear to the ground and ring around you will get there.... Mark :thumb: