Engine Brakes...

Gambi80

I've got a '97 CH with the "stealth" engine brake. I'm just curious what all is different with the regular jake vs. the stealth in my Mack. All I've been able to find is that other than the obvious lack of noise and the butterfly in the exhaust and from what I've read, stiffer valve springs.

Mine doesn't work with a crap really and I guess what I'm getting at is could mine be changed to the "regular" style...with minimal engine mods...?

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I had it fixed at the local Mack dealer here last year...new solenoids, ran the rack and so on. They say..."it works great!!.."

It worked well for a while, but now there's no difference between low/hi. I unhooked the exhaust brake underneath just to see if the jake on the motor was working at all and it was-only on the low side.

I guess I want to know if these things can go "bad" and if so, if it needs to be replaced if one off a later model engine would bolt right up and do away with the exhaust brake and be more effective...for simplicity.

I had it fixed at the local Mack dealer here last year...new solenoids, ran the rack and so on. They say..."it works great!!.."

It worked well for a while, but now there's no difference between low/hi. I unhooked the exhaust brake underneath just to see if the jake on the motor was working at all and it was-only on the low side.

I guess I want to know if these things can go "bad" and if so, if it needs to be replaced if one off a later model engine would bolt right up and do away with the exhaust brake and be more effective...for simplicity.

Low operates jake only! hi operates jake and stealth.if you want it to work properly the steath needs to be there!

Low operates jake only! hi operates jake and stealth.if you want it to work properly the steath needs to be there!

Hmm...mine must either work differently or improperly. Service guy said low/hi is either half or full jake. I had the floor pan off last winter and could see the air cylinder open and shut the valve for both.