New To Bmt From Ny

Ahubbard

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to Big Mack Trucks and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 25 year old guy with a 1986 DM686s 10 wheel dump truck. I have owned this truck since I have been 18 and have made a living it since hauling gravel and asphalt locally here in Steuben County, NY. The old girl's got a E6-285 with a 6 speed airshift transmission and 4.17 gears. I'm sure most of you know that means top speed of about 63 mph for me. It has about 410,000 miles on it, and is in pretty good shape for the year. It is due for a paint job which I hope to get to this spring. I try to do all of my own maintenance from grease jobs to motor overhauls. The simplicity of this 1986 truck allows me to keep doing this. I really think that Mack had it all figured out in the late 80s and wish that trucks like mine were still coming off the assembly line. Most guys my age would like a truck with more power and probably something more comfortable than a DM, but I have grown up with these trucks on our farm and dont want anything but an old Mack. If I were going to upgrade, I would be looking for an R model (i guess just putting my cab in the middle and getting the backside of the motor out from under the dash would be enough upgrade for me). Anyway thats why I joined this sight, I like Mack trucks and I want to talk about them. Plus after reading some posts,I see there is a good selection of knowledgable Mack mechanics here that I hope to benefit from. I definately will be asking more questions than I will be giving answers! Thanks, Andy.

Hi Andy, welcome and congrats on keeping that ol dog working! She's a good looking tandem.

What can you gross up there? Here in Jersey, I think some of the older ones are grandfathered in at 70,000 lbs. Tri-axles can do 80,000, so that's what you see mostly.

Thanks for the welcome guys! My max gross is 64000 with my permit. That gets the max out of my 20,000 lb front and 44 rears. At 23500 empty I can get a hair over 20 ton on a load. Yup I get to Hammondsport a few times in the summer, Paul, nice place to truck through that time of year, always alot going on, makes the trips less boring!