86 Mack 10 speed TRDL1070 Transmission troubles

TownsendMack

Hauled 14 tons this afternoon on the highway and started noticing a whine coming from, what I assume, to be the transmission. The truck had trouble going into Hi, and noise was more pronounced in 3rd gear.  What are some things to rule out and figure out how much this will cost?  Synchro, shift cylinder, solenoids, shift fork, hot oil, differential noise disguised as tranny noise?

I feel like it is odd to have issue more prominent in 3rd.  Could this be diff noise traveling up drive train?

Does this sound like a tranny swap is in order?

What does a tranny repair look like for these units? Can these be swapped with an Eaton?

Thanks for your knowledge, time, input.

Troubles seem to start in the rear HI-LO boxes on these Mack transmissions. From what I've heard rebuilds are tricky and not to many around to do it anymore ($). 

They can be swapped out for an Eaton but Im not sure about airline and clutch specifics. If your wanting to keep the driveline all Mack I'd look for a 12 speed, they're really nice if you do a lot of backing and seem to hold up pretty well. 

What's tricky is supporting the rear counter shafts.  There is a special tool to insert through  the top rear cover, and 4 'Z' brackets to use after you remove the rear cover.  You can make the 'Z' brackets...  do you have a sbc manual?