Speedometer Repair

I read a short artical in my SPAAMFAA newsletter about making a new face for speedometers, does anybody know how to remove the lens from a E series speedometer?

It looks like the face is held on with two screws, has anyone ever removed or replaced the indicater needle?

Thanks!

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

I've had several old speedos apart for restoration. The tough part is getting the bezel off. They are usually crimped on to the housing. To get them off you have to take a small screwdriver or similar tool and from the back side where the bezel meets the housing, gently roll the crimp back enough to get the bezel off but not so much that you bend the front side.

Once you get the bezel off the needle is a press fit on the shaft. If its not frozen it should come off by gently turning the needle counterclockwise. It should come off the shaft without too much trouble. Then the face comes off with the two screws you can see from the front.

There are people who specialize in rescreening the face of the gauge. Look in Hemmings or other such publications. I have also had them made at a local sign shop but the detail wasn't as fine as the screened method. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how good you want it to look when finished. Hope this helps, Brad

I've had several old speedos apart for restoration. The tough part is getting the bezel off. They are usually crimped on to the housing. To get them off you have to take a small screwdriver or similar tool and from the back side where the bezel meets the housing, gently roll the crimp back enough to get the bezel off but not so much that you bend the front side.

Once you get the bezel off the needle is a press fit on the shaft. If its not frozen it should come off by gently turning the needle counterclockwise. It should come off the shaft without too much trouble. Then the face comes off with the two screws you can see from the front.

There are people who specialize in rescreening the face of the gauge. Look in Hemmings or other such publications. I have also had them made at a local sign shop but the detail wasn't as fine as the screened method. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how good you want it to look when finished. Hope this helps, Brad

Thanks Brad,

I used three different size screwdrivers, started with the smallest and went all the way around, moved to the next size and did it again till I used all three sizes. It came off pretty easy but you do need to take your time.

I will take the face to work with me tommorow, since I have a printing and sign shop I can redo a new face myself. I plan on scanning the old one and use it as a template for a new one printed on vinyl. I will post a few pics of it when I am done.

1948 Mack Pumper