T310m not shifting to high range

Toyota231

2011 gu713 t310m. Driver reported it randomly wouldn't shift to high range, very intermittent. I only let him run a few days, it did it only a few times, but of course I couldn't replicate the condition. So I parked the truck for about 10 months, decided today before work to see if it did it for me, and it did, but now it won't shift into high range at all. Now I know this topic has been talked about, and I promise I searched, but my searching skills, wording things correctly to get proper results severely sucks.

So I'm wandering what would you say is a usual culprit for said problem? How much of a chance it's just the air "solenoid" for the shifter or more likely the range selector/synchronizer in the trans. If it's the latter what does that job entail? I'm now actively trying to get the truck back going and get back into business and I'll be doing the work myself if I can get time in between my 12 hour, 7 day a week schedule at work(I have plenty of experience as a fleet mechanic just none on these transmissions). Just looking for some advice and a usual parts list on fixing it, while I'm at work I have time to sit down and see what I'm looking at to get the job done.

Thanks,

Justin

Hook shop air to the truck.  Then remove the spaghetti lines at the transmission, that control range shifting, and. Flip the range button a few times to see if good air pressure comes out.  You are checking for blockages here, as well as checking the shift knobs ability to deliver. Air... with all lines hooked up, you should here the range clutch slam into both ranges.. if not, keep checking for air delivery issues...  there is a shuttle valve on top of the trans, that controls the range shift...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 5:58 AM, Joey Mack said:

Hook shop air to the truck.  Then remove the spaghetti lines at the transmission, that control range shifting, and. Flip the range button a few times to see if good air pressure comes out.  You are checking for blockages here, as well as checking the shift knobs ability to deliver. Air... with all lines hooked up, you should here the range clutch slam into both ranges.. if not, keep checking for air delivery issues...  there is a shuttle valve on top of the trans, that controls the range shift...

I'll give it a try when I get a chance but honestly I'm not sure that it's an air delivery issue. When the range is selected by the shifter you can hear the movement in the transmission pretty clearly shifting the range. Has a nice clunk noise either way. But I will check it out in hopes it's that simple, I know my luck though, it won't be.

how long has this issue been around?  did it slowly happen or suddenly? does it grind on the range shift? there is a snap ring in the center of the synchro clutch basket, that if it breaks, it wont range shift to high range, and sometimes not at all. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/16/2023 at 6:10 AM, Joey Mack said:

how long has this issue been around?  did it slowly happen or suddenly? does it grind on the range shift? there is a snap ring in the center of the synchro clutch basket, that if it breaks, it wont range shift to high range, and sometimes not at all. 

Well i wasn't notified you had posted and just happen to be looking on here tonight, many months later and saw it, thanks to 5 months of 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at work i haven't had time to work on the darn truck. To answer your questions it happened pretty quickly, driver reported it one day, but then it was intermittent for the next week or so, maybe would do it once in a 10 hour day or a few times in a few hours, then i parked the truck. I never heard any grinding when i drove the truck and tried to replicate the problem while i was still running it, i will go back and check again as soon as i get a chance but if i try it now I am pretty sure there is no grinding, you can hear the shift from low to high, but of course no movement from the truck when the clutch is let out. Also i just happened to see it's kinda funny we aren't too far apart, I'm just up in Kernersville.

I read over the postings again.  I wouldnt dig in too deep right now.  since its been a while, maybe start over and check for air flow issues.  did you pull the top rear cover to see if the shift fork bolt is loose?  Since you live in Kernersville, Transource is right there ..  can they figure it out for you?  jojo