Burning points on 1952 707b

Angelo

Trucks been running great. Put about 800 miles on it going to shows and had  no issues. Last week coming home from a show started to loose pedal and backfired.  Got off road pulled front dis cap and the rubbing block on points was melted off. Changed them out with fresh set. Got back on road and lost the next set of points about 10 miles in. Changed again with capacitor and made it home. Anyone ever see this before. 
i just ordered electronic conversion for front distributor. Will buy rear one when I have some free cash. Hopefully it will help me. Only thing that worries me is why it’s doing it in first place?

Edited by Angelo

Do you have a resistor in primary circuit of coil? Full 12 volts will fry points. Does your coil have an internal resistor? Read resistance across primary terminals of coil - if reads approx 3 ohms, then it has internal resistor. If reads approx 1.5 ohms, there is no internal resistor and you need an additional resistor in the circuit. Sometimes it takes some experimenting to get voltage to a point that points like.  Also the capacitor value has a lot to do with burning points. Too little capacitance, metal will transfer to moveable contact.  Too much, metal goes to stationary contact.  Back in the days of point ignitions,  if both contacts were burnt even, I would reuse condensor. 

1.  Is there a felt wiper that applies lube to the breaker cam?  If so, add some grease to that pad to lubricate the cam and rubbing block.

2.  DW has a more likely solution.  If the voltage is wrong, the points might be sticking closed (think "arc weld"), putting too much load on the rubbing block while "breaking them open".  This will definitely eat up the block in short order.  I also had some points from Mallory one time that were just plain too stiff.  But, I think that was a bad batch.  They replaced them and I never had another issue with them.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Yea the felt wiper is in place and oiled. I don’t see a ballast resistor wondering if those original big coils are internal resistors. Maybe they are over powered like you suggested because it was fine and then all of a sudden it’s eating points like candy