96 CH613 engine shuts down.

I have a 96 CH613 with an E7-350. I have been having an engine shutdown problem. So far only while idling. It will die like the key is shut off with electronic malfunction light. It's giving me code 6-2. (I've read other topics with this problem but have never seen a solution) Grounds have been cleaned and plug by the pump checked. It generally takes 30 seconds before it will restart. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by jtpfarm

are you losing fuel prime?  due to a loose fitting, or dry rot fuel line, loose connection at the tank outlet hose, and it is sucking air..  when it cuts off, have you pulled the fuel filters to see if the level is too low..?  Mack Truck VMACIII 1998 Fault Codes List ..  I just found out that my folder with a ton of info is gone off my computer,  so I cant look at the 6-2 code flowchart..  

It's definitely not a fuel issue. If sits 30 seconds or so it starts right up. (Not crank for 30 seconds) It looks like the code is date line input no signal. I am told this is a Vmac 1 (I know it's not a 3) I only get electronic malfunction, no engine shutdown light when the problem happens.

Edited by jtpfarm

ok,,  there are a few ways to tell, if it Vmac 1 or 2..  If when you shut the key, and all electric power goes off instantly.... VMAC1,,, if there is a delay, VMAC 2..  Yes, it is not VMAC 3..   

No other functions lost that I noticed. And so far it will ONLY occur after coming to an idle after any sort of acceleration. For instance, tonight I drove it 3 miles, came in the yard and about 10 seconds after I put it in reverse it died. The other day I started it, drove 500', opened the door and it died before I got to the ground. The truck only has 185,000 original miles on it.

I have not inspected the FICM, where is it and what is there to look for? 

• jtpfarm changed the title to 96 CH613 engine shuts down.

can you run the truck in the yard, and duplicate the issue?  I really think there is a loose wire,  maybe you can tug on the wires on the back side of the suspect socket and see if it pulls out easy...   these diags. can really be a B!..H!...  jojo

well you may have just improved a weak connection...  Hope it stays good..  if you own an I.R. thermometer, use it... you can check temps and compare them to similar components..  Good luck... jojo

I dont remember about specs. A junk yard may be the ticket..  I hope a few others chime in to answer that one.... I really doubt that is the issue, unless you see obvious damage..  Using todays approach by replacing ECM's is not the way to start on a truck like your's...  You have to be a mechanic, not a Tech.  You are in good hands here.  just keep in touch... jojo

I'm definitely leaving replacing them until a last resort. I now have the flowchart for 6-2 and 6-3 code, but the tests are basically impossible to perform when it's such an irratic short term problem.

A couple other things I have noticed. 

1: I am not able to reset/save the  idle speed with the cruise switch like described in the tech manual. It idles at 625 and when I flip the switch 3 times it doesn't do anything.

2: Compared to our 98 with a 427, it idles much rougher. Cab slightly wiggles back and forth while idling. We did put stage 2 injectors and a bigger turbo on but I don't see how that would effect the idle.

Not sure if these are related to my issue or just the way this truck is.

Edited by jtpfarm