2018 Granite MP-8 SPN-1639

PDFT

Hello, I am reaching out again for some help. I appreciate the responses I have got in the past.

I have a 2018 Granite with the MP-8 engine.  I am getting fault code SPN-1639 for the Fan Speed.

The fan does lock up after the engine gets up to temperature, before it is at full temperature the fan works fine.

What sensor is controlling the fan speed and where is it located?

Any help will be appreciated! 

Everything is self contained inside the fan clutch. A faulty fan clutch, worn pins in connector, wiring damage or engine ecm issues could be the cause.  In some model years the fan speed sensor is powered by a 5 volt wire that also powers other 5 volt sensors like the boost pressure sensor. An issue with a totally unrelated sensor can cause a fault code for something else using the same 5 volt wire. 

For that year model truck in Tech Tool , all the codes are in the P***** code format. I have found  no way to cross the SPN fault code format to the P code format that is now used. A lot of the time generic code readers or even the dash diag will read out codes in the older format. But when you plug up the to Tech Tool you get a totally different type of code format. Early ETECH and MP’s used the MID SID  format, then around 2010 it changed to the SPN format and then around 2016 the P series fault code format came about. Very confusing of course. On your fan clutch at the electrical connector, pins 1 and 2 are a pair of twisted wires and this is fan speed signal . Pin 5 is the power to the fan speed sensor, I’m assuming it’s 5 volts. The other pins are for voltage and ground for engagement and over temp . 

I plugged in my scan tool and got no codes. I do not have a check engine light on, only the lightening bolt on the dash.  I got the SPN code from my ELD.

I did not have time to check the pins yet, but I had a thought, could the pressure switch in the A/C line be causing the cooling fan to lock up on high.  I am thinking that because I am not getting any engine malfunction codes