Bell housing mount direct pto

MackE7760

Is anyone familiar with the direct drive (always running/nonstop) pto that is mounted on the flywheel housing? 04 CV713, ex cement mixer truck converted to dump, with the dump pto transmission mounted. Im wanting to remove the direct drive pto and install a cover plate and oring where the pto was....it rattles LOUD! At an idle, the gear lash rattle is louder than the engine, annoying!  I check with my dealer for a blockoff plate, and was told non exist. If i were to remove the pto, is there any reason I couldn’t make a plate with the same bolt pattern on it, and just cover the opening with a new oring? Btw it is mounted at about 10 o-clock on the bellhousing looking from the rear of truck. Seems simple from a machinist/engineer perspective BUT i havent seen what its like in the flywheel housing. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, MackE7760 said:

That is the present game plan, pull it and see, but was hopeful that maybe someone on here had “been there, done that” before that could give me tips for potential pitfalls

Read the manual I linked. Looks like trans has to come out, fly wheel has to come off to remove the drive gear/idler gear assembly. More to it than just pulling off the output assembly.

Imma dig into it more, but i dont understand what the detrimental effect would be if the entire output assembly were pulled out, and a plate were machined to close up the opening that was where the output assembly previously resided. Maybe im missing something here.

Oil lubrication ports may be left wide open thus bleeding oil pressure, the idler gear is still in there slapping around waiting to grenade... And it still may not solve your noise complaint as the idler gear could be a large part of the noise.

• Like 1