3 hours ago, Rob said:

It really doesn't matter much whether the shutters are forward, or rearward of the coil; the scenario is to block airflow through the coil which removes heat.

The early E6-350 engines did use a "tip turbine" type setup that preceded the air to air intercooling setups commonplace now. These used a combination of water, and air in the cooIer housing. I think in 1982 the air to air started being released and the hoods were lengthened to accommodate the cooling coil.

Yes. Mine is a 1981 and the air cooling is air and water. I understand the the location of the shutters doesn't matter, it was just an observation. My 1989 Ford LTL had the shutters behind the rad and I had a guy say that he preferred them that way as they protected the rad from rocks off the front tires. 

22 minutes ago, dx1075 said:

Depending on the size of the fan this things can take about 50hp.

Yes they can and if you are underpowered or JUST enough power to do the job, that can be significant. However, if you are producing 300HP and only require 150 HP do do what you are doing, 50HP to run the fan will matter little.