Trucking News: Pennsylvania Turnpike Tolls Going up 25 Percent Next Month

WattsMack

Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission officials announced Thursday that the Turnpike will supply $1.3 billion in new funding in the next year and a half, thanks to a 25-percent toll increase

View the full article

The Turnpike Commision always justifies a toll increase by stating "failure to meet projected toll revenue". The problem is that their projections are always based on current traffic volumes. With each toll increase comes a decrease in volume, directly caused by said toll increase! It is a basic law of supply and demand the commisioners have not been able to grasp. The New York Thruway Authority is guilty of these same offenses. They are held captive by poor business practices, political corruption and greed. The cost of the product offered exceeds the value. A product is only worth what consumers are willing to pay. It wouldn't be hard to figure out; the research has already been done by the Ohio Turnpike Commision. They learned a hard lesson years ago and consequntly LOWERED tolls. An amazing result- increased revenue due to increased traffic volumes!

I for one am very aware of cost vs. benefit in my trucking operation. Any smart businessman has to be in today's economy. With the decrease in fuel prices, it is no longer cost effective to run the toll road; it is cheaper to pay for the fuel to go around the toll road. That green line on my PA map no longer exists.

The Turnpike Commision always justifies a toll increase by stating "failure to meet projected toll revenue". The problem is that their projections are always based on current traffic volumes. With each toll increase comes a decrease in volume, directly caused by said toll increase! It is a basic law of supply and demand the commisioners have not been able to grasp. The New York Thruway Authority is guilty of these same offenses. They are held captive by poor business practices, political corruption and greed. The cost of the product offered exceeds the value. A product is only worth what consumers are willing to pay. It wouldn't be hard to figure out; the research has already been done by the Ohio Turnpike Commision. They learned a hard lesson years ago and consequntly LOWERED tolls. An amazing result- increased revenue due to increased traffic volumes!

I for one am very aware of cost vs. benefit in my trucking operation. Any smart businessman has to be in today's economy. With the decrease in fuel prices, it is no longer cost effective to run the toll road; it is cheaper to pay for the fuel to go around the toll road. That green line on my PA map no longer exists.

Hey,I might see you over in the woods somewhere.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.