Mack rear axle housing

I bought a 2005 Mack CHU tandem axle daycab. Its got CRDPC92 / 93Mack rears on Mack/Hendrickson air ride.

I'm getting ready to sand blast the frame and repaint it. I was taking the identification tags off to keep from destroying them, and here's what I found:

Front rearend axle housing tag is the fist photo,  

And then rear axle housing tag is the second. 

The Meritor front housing is original,  the rear looks to have been replaced at some point.  Is there any pros or cons to the Meritor vs Dana?

20200705_215234.jpg

20200705_215333.jpg

Edited by snowman_w900

23 hours ago, snowman_w900 said:

I bought a 2005 Mack CHU tandem axle daycab. Its got CRDPC92 / 93Mack rears on Mack/Hendrickson air ride.

I'm getting ready to sand blast the frame and repaint it. I was taking the identification tags off to keep from destroying them, and here's what I found:

Front rearend axle housing tag is the fist photo,  

And then rear axle housing tag is the second. 

The Meritor front housing is original,  the rear looks to have been replaced at some point.  Is there any pros or cons to the Meritor vs Dana?

20200705_215234.jpg

20200705_215333.jpg

This is interesting. Mack axle has been designed by manufactured by Mack Engineering and was produced inside Mack facilities until 1986 (in Hagerstown, MD). Management decided to source the assembly to Dana and they were making it to Mack design from 1986-2002. From 2003-2009 Meritor was assembling it to Mack design and from 2009-2015 by American Axle and Manufaturing. The assembly was brought back in-house (to Hagerstown Pwt facility) in 2015.

Coming back to your question when Dana was making Mack fabricated steel axle housing the spindles were Mack proprietary design (dimensions are different than industry standard specs). When transition to Meritor happened, the spindles were changed to industry standard R-Series spindles (while at same time making Mack prop spindle version for After-Market support). 19QF4409P9/25080121 (new number) has been terminated.

Meritor tag are internal numbers and not valid Mack P/N so can't tell much about it. Meritor made some housings in 2005-2007 with a manufacturing defect where the stamping had sharp inside corner radius causing housing to fail in some severe applications. The issue was corrected and later design improvements were made to increase the inside corner wall radius so avoid manufacturing issues in future. All axle housings were not produced by Meritor or Dana but by tier-2 suppliers.

• Like 1

Thanks for that info @kt_Engineer .

I haven't pulled the hubs or bearings on yet, but I an planning on doing that so I can replace seals and if needed I'll put fresh bearings in.

It looks like they reused the original aluminum hub pilot hubs from what I can tell at a glance, but after seeing your post ill be taking a closer look at everything. 

Would the older Dana housing be of better quality in your opinion than the Meritor of that era (2005) in your opinion? 

On 7/7/2020 at 4:11 AM, snowman_w900 said:

Thanks for that info @kt_Engineer .

I haven't pulled the hubs or bearings on yet, but I an planning on doing that so I can replace seals and if needed I'll put fresh bearings in.

It looks like they reused the original aluminum hub pilot hubs from what I can tell at a glance, but after seeing your post ill be taking a closer look at everything. 

Would the older Dana housing be of better quality in your opinion than the Meritor of that era (2005) in your opinion? 

I think Meritor housing has been swapped out with Dana for some reason. I would assume Meritor failed, so I would recommend keeping the Dana housing.