Leaking Coolant

Jake Brake

Hi I’ve got a 2013 MP8 505 and I changed the coolant filter yesterday and when I turned the coolant filter shutoff back on it started to leak coolant out of the valve and it didn’t seem to matter where I turned it the coolant kept leaking and leaking heavily. How do I go about changing this shutoff tap? I currently have the coolant out of the engine and need to get it up and running. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

I have some advice There is a kit made to repair the valve once you have the valve repaired leave it in the on position don't touch it ever again  and simply add a little coolant after you change the filter these valves were a good IDEA in theory however  the orings cook to the metal and u end up where your at!

Cummins has had this setup for years didnt work for them either! :rolleyes:

Just an opinion

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info fjh. I’ve got the valve out and yes the o ring was cooked. I ordered the kit and it should be here tomorrow. Quite simple once you get it out and see what you’re up against. Will leave closed from now on.

Edited by Jake Brake

• 3 years later...

is this the little valve in the coolant filter housing? it looks like a lever..  If it's one i'm thinking of, I have a hook for my slide hammer to jerk it out of there then go back in with the new one once you look for debris like a piece of the old o-ring.  to avoid draining the coolant, you can have a helper hold a shop -vac over the filler hole and apply suction to the tank. do not seal it to the tank, use youre hand to maintain a 1/2" space between the vac and the filler neck. when you pull the valve out, the vac will suck air into the hole rather than allow coolant to gush out.  of course you will need to burp the system when its done..  just an option here,,, jojo

• Like 1