Cooney Bros Coal Superliner?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but I stumbled upon it just now.  As of the end of last year that Superliner was still on the road every day, hauling coal around the Alleghenies.  It is still in the same form as you describe, with a very large Ti-Brook bed.  Cooney brokered out most of his hauling in and out of the prep plant but there were several trucks that were owned by the company and this was one of them.  The truck still has “Cooney Bros. Coal Co.” painted on the bug shield after all these years, that is the trademark giveaway.  It is currently owned by David Adams of Portage, PA.  I see it often at a local stone quarry we haul out of and will try to get a photo or two this Summer.  

• Like 2

I can't help with Cooney Coal, but the name is familiar as Cooney Bros. Construction Materials out of Tarrytown, New York.  I don't want to hijack the thread, but I spent a summer in the mid-'50s driving for Cooney Tarrytown and would be interested in any word about that outfit.  I was mainly assigned a very worn and very overloaded LF ten wheeler with a Lanova that smoked a lot and pulled very hard.  Any information or memories to share will be appreciated.

• Like 1